Etton, East Riding of Yorkshire
St Mary's Church, Etton
Etton shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||277 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Beverley and Holderness|
Etton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north-west of Beverley town centre and 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the village of Leconfield. 1 mile (1.6 km) to the south-east is Cherry Burton. To the west lie the hamlets of Kiplingcotes (3 miles (4.8 km) away due west) and Gardham (1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the south-west), 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the north-west lies South Dalton.
The village itself lies to the west of the B1248 road in its own shallow dale. The village's buildings are almost entirely situated either side of Main Street. Along this street, lie both the village pub and the parish church of St Mary, which is a Grade II* listed building.
The civil parish is formed by the village of Etton and part of the hamlet of Kiplingcotes. According to the 2011 UK census, Etton parish had a population of 277, a decrease on the 2001 UK census figure of 285.
It enjoys some obscure fame as the 1584 birthplace of Rev. John Lathrop, founder of Barnstable, Massachusetts. Several Lothropp family members have death or burial dates recorded as 6 January 1588, but as there is no record of a catastrophic event on that date, it is believed to be merely a recording date to catch up on vital statistics which had gone unreported for some length of time.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Etton CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- English Heritage. "Church of St Mary (1103443)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Etton CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 15 May 2008.
- Cooney, Michael (December 2002). Old Yorkshire 26. Beverley: Northern Line Design. pp. 26–28.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Etton.|
- Details from listed building database (164575) . Images of England. English Heritage. - St Mary's Church
- Etton in the Domesday Book
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|