Eugene in 2011 Metrocity fashion show
|Birth name||Kim Yoo-jin|
|Also known as||Eugene, Yoo-jin|
March 3, 1981 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Occupations||Singer, actress, emcee|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Yujin|
Kim Yoo-jin (born March 3, 1981), professionally known in English as Eugene, is a singer, actress, emcee from South Korea. She was a former member of a Korean female idol group called S.E.S., popular in the late 1990s and early 2000s. She has released two solo albums and has gone on to star in TV dramas and movies and work as an MC in various shows and programs.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Musical theatre
- 7 Hosting (MC)
- 8 Books
- 9 Appointed as Goodwill Ambassador
- 10 Awards
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Eugene was born in Seoul, South Korea, but spent her childhood in Guam after moving there after elementary school. She returned to Korea with her mother and younger sister sometime in high school, and eventually graduated from Korea Kent Foreign School.
By way of an audition tape, Eugene was able to be part of a music group for SM Entertainment in South Korea, even though she was still in Guam. Debuting in 1997, S.E.S. became one of the biggest Korean groups of all time, having the record for biggest selling album by a female group in Korea. While in S.E.S., Eugene became known for her beauty and was part of the reason why S.E.S. had many advertising contracts. In fact, for certain print campaigns (like for Korean cosmetics company Etude), Eugene had the leading role, being the focus of the advertisements.
After the split of S.E.S. in 2002, Kim starred in four Korean dramas: Loving You, Save The Last Dance for Me, Wonderful Life, and I Really, Really Like You. She also appeared in commercials and advertisements, notably for Korean cosmetics company Cathy Cat. In addition, she released two solo albums. My True Style, her first album, has sold nearly 65,000 records and had one hit ballad, "The Best". Her second album 810303 sold a disappointing 19,000 copies. Although sales were low, Eugene still had a very successful single with "Windy", mostly due to her new "sexy" image (compared to her previous girl next door image). This song was performed on all the music video programs in Korea for many months, in addition to her second single. Promotions were stopped near the end of the year.
In 2007 Eugene took over from Lee Hyori as one of the co-hosts of the KBS variety show Happy Together Friends, until the show was overhauled for a third season. After the success of her previous program Eugene's Makeup Diary, cable style network O'live again chose her as the host of new show Get It Beauty which began airing in July 2010.
In 2012 she became the host of season 3 of MBC's revamped flagship amateur singing competition show The Great Birth. Her next leading role was in the 2013 weekend family drama A Hundred Year Legacy, which reached ratings of over 30 percent.
On May 11, 2011, Eugene announced on her fansite that after a year and a half of dating, she will be married to Ki Tae-young, her leading man in the 2009 TV series Creating Destiny. The couple later held a joint press conference to discuss further details about their relationship and wedding plans, then released their pre-nuptial pictorials a week before the actual wedding. Their wedding was held at the Seoul Central Church in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do, on July 23, 2011.
They were the first couple featured on Super Couple Diary, a reality show filming the daily married life of celebrity couples.
After the sinking of the MV Sewol, fans of Eugene began to doubt her belief in the Salvation sect. She explained she is not believer of the Evangelical Baptist Church(기독교복음침례회), but in the Korean Christianity Baptist Church(대한예수교침례회) which separated from Evangelical Baptist Church 32 years ago.
|Album||Release Date||Unit Sales||Agency||Label|
|1st: My True Style...||2003-05-30||
|Save the Last Dance for Me OST||2004-11-25||
||Track 5: My Dream|
|I Really Really Like You OST||2006-04-26||
||Track 3: Like a Candy
Track 7: Really Really Like You (Rock version)
|Romantic Island Christmas Story (Single)||2008-12-11||
||Track 1: Romantic Christmas (duet with Lee Sun-kyun)|
|Romantic Island OST||2008-12-16||
||Track 3: Plastic Syndrome
Track 10: Travel Memories
As Featured Artist on other albums
|Oh Jong-hyuk 1st album: OJ Issue||2006-09-11||
||Track 13: One Month|
|Kan Mi Youn 1st album: Refreshing||2006-09-15||
||Track 3: 그 앤 너에게 반하지 않았어|
|Ahn Jae-wook 4th album: Life for Love||2009-08-05||
||Track 5: Make Me Smile|
|Bada 4th album: See the Sea||2009-08-06||
||Track 13: ...나요|
|Shoo single: Devote One's Love||2010-01-08||
||Track 3: With Me|
|Kim Jin-woo single: Love Latte||2010-08-05||
||Track 1: Love Latte|
|Christmas with Pfull||2004-12-10||
||Track 6: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer|
|Merry Christmas & Happy New Year||2005-12-12||
||Track 6: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer|
|2002||Loving You||Jin Da-rae||KBS2|
|2004||Save the Last Dance for Me||Ji Eun-soo||SBS|
|2005||Wonderful Life||Jung Se-jin||MBC|
|2006||I Really Really Like You||Yeo Bong-soon||MBC|
|2008||One Mom and Three Dads||Song Na-Young||KBS2|
|2009||Creating Destiny||Han Sang-eun||MBC|
|2010||King of Baking, Kim Takgu||Shin Yoo-kyung||KBS2|
|2011||Drama Special: Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss||Princess Hwapyung||KBS2|
|2012||Ohlala Couple||Min-young (cameo, ep 2)||KBS2|
|2013||A Hundred Year Legacy||Min Chae-won||MBC|
|2014||Can We Love?||Yoon Jung-wan||jTBC|
|2007||Unstoppable Marriage||Park Eun-ho|
|2008||Heartbreak Library||Jo Eun-soo|
|Romantic Island||Yoo Ga-young|
- 2002 SBS Saturday is Coming
- 2003 KBS Nam Hui-seok and Eugene's Love Story
- 2005 KBS Happy Together Friends
- 2009 O'live TV Living Beauty - Eugene's Makeup Diary, Season 1
- 2009 O'live TV Living Beauty - Eugene's Makeup Diary, Season 2
- 2012 OnStyle Super Couple Diary
- 2012 MBC The Great Birth - Season 3
- 2010-2014 O'live TV Get It Beauty
- 2005 레인스톤 Live Annual Concert
- 2006 Eve of Seoul International Drama Awards
- 2007 MBC America 개국기념 축하쇼 We Are One
- 2007 Dream Concert
- 2007 Asia Song Festival
- 2008 Premiere Asia Rising Star Awards
- 2008 Seoul International Drama Awards
- 2010 Asia Song Festival
- 2009 Eugene's Beauty Secrets
- 2011 Eugene's Get It Beauty
Appointed as Goodwill Ambassador
- 2004 '건치 연예인' 노인대상 치위생사 체험
- 2005 Study Group for Contraception
- 2006 Philippine Tourism
- 2007 한 알의 사랑 모으기 캠페인
- 2008 12th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival
- 2011 Wonju City
- 1999 Korea Best Dresser Awards: Best Dressed, Female Singer category
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Loving You)
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actress (Loving You)
- 2004 Korea Visual Arts Festival: Photogenic Award, Singer category
- 2004 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Save the Last Dance for Me)
- 2005 Mnet KM Music Festival: PD's Choice Special Award
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama (King of Baking, Kim Takgu)
- 2011 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a One-Act Drama/Special (Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss)
- Suh, Jung-bo (31 December 2004). "Singer and Actress Eugene's Wishes for the Year of the Rooster". The Dong-a Ilbo.
- Cho, Chung-un (30 March 2007). "Pop star Eugene makes debut on musical stage". The Korea Herald.
- "Unstoppable Marriage review - I wish Eugene was my wife". The Korea Society. 24 August 2007.
- "Eugene to Play Second Mother Role". KBS Global. 27 March 2008.
- "Eugene Finds Life Abroad Reflected in New Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 October 2010.
- Han, Sang-hee (12 July 2010). "Can Eugene add something new to beauty scene?". The Korea Times.
- "Eugene’s Beauty Secret book". Jazzholic. 10 December 2009.
- "Eugene's Get It Beauty". HanBooks. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Ho, Stewart (20 September 2012). "Eugene to Serve as MC of The Great Birth's Third Season". enewsWorld.
- Sunwoo, Carla (21 September 2012). "Eugene to host Great Rebirth". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "An interview with Eugene, singer-turned-actress". The Dong-a Ilbo. 28 June 2013.
- Jang, Seo-yoon (8 July 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Eugene". 10Asia.
- "Eugene And Kim Tae-young To Get Married". KBS World. 11 May 2011.
- Park, Min-young (12 May 2011). "S.E.S.’s Eugene to wed in July". The Korea Herald.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Wed in July'". KBS Global. 12 May 2011.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Will Live Happily Ever After'". KBS Global. 24 May 2011.
- "Former members of S.E.S, Baby V.O.X and T.T.Ma reunite for Eugene's marriage". Allkpop. 11 July 2011.
- "Eugene and Ki Tae Young Share Wedding Invitation Card". Soompi. 13 July 2011.
- "Eugene & Ki Tae Young reveal their wedding photos". Allkpop. 18 July 2011.
- "July Bride Eugene Sheds Tears During Wedding Photoshoot?". Soompi. 20 July 2011.
- "Ki Tae Young and Eugene get married!". Allkpop. 23 July 2011.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (25 July 2011). "Monique Lhuillier designs elegant wedding dress of Korean star Eugene". Manila Bulletin.
- Sunwoo, Carla (14 March 2012). "Newly wed singer Eugene reveals her love nest". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (27 March 2012). "Eugene and Ki Tae Young to Appear as First Couple on Super Couple Diary". enewsWorld.
- 유진, 교회 대한예수교침례회 적극 해명 "뿌리가 같아 오해 생긴 것" 뉴스1 2014년 5월 8일자
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eugene.|
- Eugene at GG Entertainment (Korean)
- Eugene at HanCinema
- Eugene at the Internet Movie Database
- Goddess of Beauty Kim Eugene at Daum Cafe (Korean)
- BYMOMO (Korean)