Eugene Louis Dodaro
|Comptroller General of the United States|
March 13, 2008
Acting: March 13, 2008 – December 22, 2010
|Preceded by||David Walker|
|Born||May 7, 1951|
|Alma mater||Lycoming College|
Eugene Louis Dodaro (born May 7, 1951) is the Comptroller General of the United States and head of the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO). From October 1, 2000 until March 12, 2008 he was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the GAO and he held the equivalent 2nd-in-command title before the late 2000 restructuring of the GAO, Principal Assistant Comptroller General, a title he had held since May 1999. (Note that this change of titles is a result of the organization-wide restructuring rather than a promotion or other event in his career; from May 1999 through to March 12, 2008 Dodaro retained the position of second in command of the GAO.)
On February 15, 2008 when the seventh Comptroller General of the United States, David M. Walker, announced that he was departing from his office before the end of his 15-year term to work for the The Peter G. Peterson Foundation, he appointed Dodaro to replace him. On March 13, 2008 Dodaro became the Acting Comptroller General and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate for a term of fifteen years on December 22, 2010.
Mr. Dodaro joined the GAO in 1973. His first executive posting was as an associate director for management issues in the General Government Division. In 1993 he was named Assistant Comptroller General for Accounting and Information Management. It was in 1999 that he became the GAO's second in command.
Awards and honors
In 1981 Dodaro received the GAO's Meritorious Service Award. In 1989 he received the Arthur S. Flemming Award for outstanding individual performance in government. In 2001 he became a Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration and in 2003 was awarded the prestigious National Public Service Award conferred by that organization.
- Walker, Richard W. (February 15, 2008), "Comptroller general to leave GAO for foundation", Federal Computer Week, ISSN 0893-052X, archived by WebCite here.
- Congressional Record - Daily Digest - Wednesday, December 22, 2010
- Oliver, Jeff (March 26, 2008), "Area native appointed interim head of major U.S. government agency", The Valley Independent (Monessen, Pennsylvania: Mon Valley Newspapers, Inc.), OCLC 14251439
- Upcoming Speakers, Lycoming College Institute for Management Studies, retrieved 2009-01-05, archived by WebCite here.
- "GAO Staff Changes", The GAO Review (Washington, D.C.: Government Accountability Office) 20 (4), 1985: 39, ISSN 1045-3261
- Gene L. Dodaro Biography, Government Accountability Office, December 20, 2008, retrieved 2009-01-05, archived by WebCite here.
- "Acting Comptroller General Named", International Journal of Government Auditing (Vienna: International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions) 35 (2), April 2008: 9, ISSN 0047-0724
- The National Public Service Awards - 2003 Winners, National Academy of Public Administration, retrieved 2009-01-05, archived by WebCite here
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eugene Louis Dodaro.|