Eugene Public Library
|Eugene Public Library|
|Location||100 W. 10th Ave.
Eugene, Oregon, 97401
|Branches||2 (Bethel, Sheldon)|
|Items collected||Books, videos, CDs, DVDs, audio books|
|Access and use|
|Population served||150,000 (Eugene)|
In 1898, a small private library was established in Eugene. It became a public City of Eugene service in 1904 and opened two years later, holding about 1,500 books. Then, in 1959, a new library building opened at the corner of 13th and Olive, where the previous one was torn down. This remained the main library building until it was moved to its current location at 10th Ave. and Charnelton St. in 2002. At this time, the library already had two branches, Bethel (West Eugene) and Sheldon (Cal Young neighborhood), that had opened in 2000.
In 2003 the new library building won first place in the American Institute of Architects of Southwest Oregon's public architecture awards. The library was also recognized when it obtained $1.1 million as a gift from a late Eugene doctor in 2009.
The library's latest building and its underground parking garage have been described as "energy efficient, low maintenance, and filled with daylight." The new building is four times larger than the older one.
The number of members of the library increased heavily after the new building opened, most likely because of the economic downturn. In addition, its collection of items has had a net increase since 2005, as well as its circulation and visits.
- "Grand opening" (PDF). Eugene Public Library. Archived from the original on 1 April 2010.
- "About the library." Eugene Public Library. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- OSU Special Collections and Archives: Gerald W. Williams Collection (24 May 2012). "Carnegie Public Library, Eugene, circa 1910". Flickr. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "New city library to go on site of old, councilmen decide." 10 May 1955. The Register-Guard (Eugene, Oregon). Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- "2003 awards". AIA Southwest Oregon. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011.
- Bolt, Greg (15 November 2009). "Library gets $1.1 million gift". The Register-Guard. p. B1. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "Sustainable, high efficiency lighting in a municipal library". Lighting Design Lab. Archived from the original on 20 July 2011.
- "City of Eugene, Eugene Public Library." Shepley Bulfinch. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- Adams, Tom (12 August 2008). "The library as a tranquil oasis." KVAL News (Eugene, Oregon). Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- "Library, Recreation & Cultural Services Annual Report 2010" (PDF). City of Eugene. p. 7. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- Home page
- "Public libraries grow to support community needs": Daily Journal of Commerce