|City of Euless, Texas|
Location of Euless in Tarrant County, Texas
|• City Council||Mayor Linda Martin
|• City Manager||Loretta Getchell|
|• City||16.3 sq mi (42.1 km2)|
|• Land||16.3 sq mi (42.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||587 ft (179 m)|
|• Estimate (2013)||53,224|
|• Rank||(US: 691th)|
|• Density||3,100/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|• Urban||5,121,892 (6th)|
|• Metro||6,810,913 (4th)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||817, 682, 214, 469|
|GNIS feature ID||1335538|
Euless //, known as "Tree City USA," is a city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and a suburb of Fort Worth. Euless is part of the Mid-Cities between Dallas and Fort Worth. The population was 51,277 at the 2010 census.
The southwestern portion of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport is inside the city limits of Euless.
Euless is named after Elisha Adam Euless, a native of Tennessee who moved to Texas in 1867 and later bought 170 acres (0.69 km2) of land on the current intersection of North Main St. and West Euless Boulevard. Elisha started a cotton gin and a community center on his property, and quickly became a prominent figure among other settlers. The community developed around the land Euless owned, and the inhabitants decided to name the city "Euless" in honor of him.
Euless is located at (32.848253, -97.091782).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 16.3 square miles (42.1 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 46,005 people, 19,218 households, and 11,626 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,828.3 people per square mile (1,091.7/km²). There were 20,136 housing units at an average density of 1,237.9 per square mile (477.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.52% White, 6.49% African American, 0.64% Native American, 7.15% Asian, 1.86% Pacific Islander, 5.38% from other races, and 2.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.31% of the population. Euless has the largest population of Tongans in an American city with 2,500.
There were 19,218 households out of which 31.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.3% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.5% were non-families. 31.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 3.05. 1.26% of Euless households are same sex couples, giving Euless the ninth highest percentage of same sex couples among cities in Texas with over 50 same sex couples.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 39.7% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 5.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $49,582, and the median income for a family was $54,697. Males had a median income of $39,169 versus $32,370 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,764. About 5.7% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.5% of those under age 18 and 5.7% of those age 65 or over.
Here is the list of surrounding cities, they can also be seen from here.
According to the city’s 2007-2008 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the city’s various funds had $82.7 million in revenues, $73.7 million in expenditures, $239.5 million in total assets, $76.8 million in total liabilities, and $54.7 million in cash and investments.
The structure of the management and coordination of city services is:
|City Manager||Loretta Getchell|
|Deputy City Manager||Bob Freeman|
|Director of Finance||Janina Jewell|
|Fire Chief||Wes Rhodes|
|Police Chief||Michael Brown|
|Director of Parks and Community Services||Ray McDonald|
|Director of Planning & Economic Development||Mike Collins|
|Director of Public Works||Hal Cranor|
The Euless City Council as of February 2015 consisted of:
- Mayor: Linda Martin
- Place 1: Tim Stinneford
- Place 2: Jeremy Tompkins
- Place 3: Eddie Price
- Place 4: Linda Eilenfeldt, Mayor Pro Tem
- Place 5: Harry Zimmer
- Place 6: Perry Bynum
Arbor Daze is a celebration of trees. It is usually held on the last weekend of April from Saturday to Sunday. The location of Arbor Daze is in the municipal complex. During Arbor Daze there is a business tent, an art tent and two concert stages. There is also a kids tent called Kidz Zone. Parking is available anywhere in the municipal complex or at the nearby church, First Baptist Euless.
The Arbor Daze festival has received over 47 awards and recognitions for excellent programs and publications, making it one of the most decorated festivals in Texas.
Most of Euless is served by the Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District. Together with most of Hurst and Bedford, this area forms one of the largest recognized suburban school districts in the state.
Euless has eight elementary schools, two junior high schools, and one high school. Altogether in HEBISD there are 20 elementary schools, five junior high schools, and two high schools. Some residents of Euless attend schools in the Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District such as Bear Creek Elementary, Heritage Middle School, and Colleyville Heritage High School. Euless also has Harmony Science Academy, a charter school.
On December 10, 2005, Euless's Trinity High School won the 5A Division 1 state football championship. The team has achieved national notoriety for its pre-game and post-game ritual dance, the New Zealand Māori Ka Mate haka, started by several players of Tongan descent.
On December 22, 2007, the Trinity Trojans Football Team won the 5A Division 1 state championship again by defeating Converse Judson 13–10.
On December 16, 2009, the Trinity Trojans Football Team won the 5A Division 1 state championship again by defeating Austin Westlake Chaps 41 - 38.
According to the city's 2008 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees||% of Total City Employment|
|1||Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District||817||3.21%|
|2||LSG Sky Chefs, Inc.||800||3.14%|
|3||City of Euless||390||1.53%|
|4||Autogrill Group, Inc||325||1.28%|
|7||Life Outreach International||186||0.73%|
|8||TJ Lambrecht Construction||185||0.73%|
- Michael E. Arth, artist, author (Democracy and the Common Wealth), documentary filmmaker (New Urban Cowboy), urban designer and futurist, graduated from Trinity High School in 1971 before moving away
- James T. Draper, Jr., Baptist minister and denominational figure, former pastor of First Baptist Church of Euless
- Diane Henry, model and contestant on Big Brother 5
- Michael Muhney,actor on Veronica Mars and The Young and the Restless graduated from Trinity High School.
- Sarah Shahi, actress on The L Word
- Janine Turner, actress who starred on Northern Exposure, raised in Euless
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Euless has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 10, 2014.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Euless city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- A Tongan War Dance Enlivens Football In Euless, Texas - WSJ.com[dead link]
- City of Euless CAFR Retrieved 2009-08-17
- Euless Today spring/ summer 2010
- "Laura Bush: We got the Haka in Texas too". 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
"Interview of the First Lady by Jonathan Karl, ABC News". 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
- Fort worth Star Telegram ; Sports Section Thursday August 26th, 2010
- Diane Henry at the Internet Movie Database; URL accessed 2006-06-07
- Sarah Shahi at the Internet Movie Database; URL accessed 2006-06-07
- Brumburgh, Gary. "Biography for Janine Turner". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2006-06-07.
- Climate Summary for Euless, Texas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Euless, Texas.|
- City of Euless official website
- Map of Euless
- EulessOnline.com, online community for people that live, work & play in Euless
- HEB Chamber of Commerce
- Historic Photos of Euless, hosted by the Portal to Texas History
- More demographic data
- The webcomic Something Positive comments on Euless
- Story about haka at Trinity High School, from The World radio program
- Arbor Daze