Location of Eura in Finland
|• Municipality manager||Matti Lahtinen|
|• Total||630.20 km2 (243.32 sq mi)|
|• Land||578.87 km2 (223.50 sq mi)|
|• Water||51.33 km2 (19.82 sq mi)|
|Area rank||193rd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||87th largest in Finland|
|• Density||21.43/km2 (55.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.9%|
|• 15 to 64||61.8%|
|• 65 or older||21.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Satakunta region. The municipality has a population of 12,406 (31 January 2014) and covers an area of 630.20 square kilometres (243.32 sq mi) of which 51.33 km2 (19.82 sq mi) is water. The population density is 21.43 inhabitants per square kilometre (55.5 /sq mi).
The municipality is one of the most distinguished places in Finland in terms of pre-historical findings. The archaeological findings are mainly from the Iron Age and include e.g. ancient dress "Euran Emännän Puku".
Local tradition had it still in the 18th century that a decisive battle against invading Sweden was held in Eura's Big Meadow (Iso Niitty) in the Middle Ages. According to the story, there was blood up to man's ankles on the meadow.
Trance producer and DJ, Ville Virtanen (better known by his stage name Darude) is from Eura.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Eura:
- Social Democratic Party 32.9%
- Centre Party 22.8%
- True Finns 16.1%
- Left Alliance 12.2%
- National Coalition Party 10.9%
- Christian Democrats 2.5%
- Green League 2.0%
Twin towns - Sister cities
Eura is twinned with:
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Purhonen, Paula: Kristinuskon saapumisesta Suomeen. 1998. ISBN 951-9057-31-5. See page 156.
Media related to Eura at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Eura – Official website