Eureka City is a ghost town in South Africa. It was established in 1885, when gold was discovered on the Sheba Reef. It is located 7 km from Barberton, Mpumalanga. Its ruins are now located in the northern section of Mountainlands Nature Reserve. A permit from the authorities is now required to enter the ghost town.
In 1887 it had a population of around 700 people. In 1886, the town had three shops, three hotels, a bakery, chemist, racecourse, music hall and bars to cater for the diggers in the area. All that remains now are the ruins of the old Victoria Hotel and the neighbouring Sheba school.
- Sandra Olivier (2005). Touring in South Africa. Struik. p. 141. ISBN 978-1-77007-142-1. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Philip Harrison (2004). South Africa's Top Sites: Science. New Africa Books. p. 38. ISBN 978-0-86486-563-2. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "Mining History". Mountainlands Nature Reserve. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Three Unique Butterflies". Barberton Community Tourism. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Eureka City". Barberton Community Tourism. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
|This Mpumalanga location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|