Eurekster is a company founded in Christchurch, New Zealand, with an office located in San Francisco, California, that builds social search engines for use on websites, the search engines are called "swickis" (search plus wiki).
Launching to the public on 21 January 2004, Eurekster hosts around 100,000 swickis for various websites, which total approximately 20 million searches per month, or around 800,000 searches per day.
Mark Cuban on Blog Maverick explained the swicki: "Add their search engine to your site. They will rank results based on what actions people who search from your site take... and show results that maximize relevance to the sites' community."
According to their chief executive officer, Steven Marder: "Eurekster pioneered vertical, social search..."
The co-founder and chief scientist of Eurekster is Dr. Grant Ryan, who is also the co-founder and chairman of Christchurch-based company, SLI Systems, who specialize in search engines that learns from the users.
In May 2006, Red Herring selected Eurekster as one of their favorite companies that push the technological limits in North America. Marder told WebProNews, "We are honored to have been selected by Red Herring for this prestigious award that serves as a testament to Eurekster's vision, technology and business model."
Eurekster was, on 17 January 2007, announced one of the 100 best companies by AlwaysOn Media 100. The selection was made by focusing on "innovation, market potential, commercialization, stakeholder value creation, and media attention or 'buzz'"
- Eurekster ready to Digg? Market Watch Blog, 25 January 2007
- Sullivan, Danny: Eurekster Launches Personalized Social Search 21 January 2004
- Eurekster Selected by AlwaysOn Media as Top 100 Private Company Award Winner Recognized for Leadership in Emerging Technology dBusinessNews. 18 January 2007.
- Griffin, Peter (13 January 2007). "Riding high-tech wave to success". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Enge, Eric. Are Vertical Search Engines the Answer to Relevance? Search Engine Watch, 3 January 2007.
- Cuban, Mark. Eurekster & The Best Sales Idea I have seen in a long time 15 April 2006
- Eurekster management
- Utter, David A. Eurekster Reels In Red Herring Award WebProNews, 23 May 2006
- AlwaysOn Unveils the AO Media 100 Winners 17 January 2007