The Sauer river which is adjacent to the Eurocross course
|Event type||Cross country|
|Distance||10.2 km for men
5.3 km for women
Eurocross is an annual international cross country running competition which takes place in Diekirch, Luxembourg in February. It is one of the IAAF permit meetings which serve as qualifying events for the IAAF World Cross Country Championships. It is sponsored by the ING Group.
First held in 1969, Eurocross is organised by the local athletics club (Celtic) and the course follows near the Stade Municipal in Diekirch. There are two major races: a 10.2 km race for men and a 5.3 km race for women. In addition to these primary competitions, there are races for runners of various youth levels, as well as a popular, mass race for amateurs.
The course follows a steep incline up a hill on a stepped dirt path, which then loops back on to downhill section. The race takes place over a number of laps thus the uphill and downhill sections can make for a particularly difficult cross country course.
The main races typically attract international-calibre athletes from Europe and Africa. Past men's winners include IAAF World Cross Country Championships medallist Josephat Machuka and European Championships medallists Mustafa Mohamed and Carsten Jørgensen. The women's side has featured Gabriela Szabo (an Olympic and world champion), 1993 World Cross Country champion Albertina Dias and Dorcus Inzikuru, a steeplechase world champion. The Eurocross typically gives out over US $12,500 in total prize money for each meeting.
Past senior race winners
Key: Luxembourg championship race
- Note: The women's course was shorter than the typical 5.3 km between 1990 and 2005.
- IAAF Cross Country Permits. IAAF (2010). Retrieved on 2010-02-12.
- Wenig, Jorg (2012-02-13). Korir and Belete take victories at Diekirch Cross Country. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-02-13.
- Wenig, Jörg (2007-02-09). Defending champions Mohamed and Hahn back in Diekirch Eurocross - Preview. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Route. Celtic Diekirch. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Horaire / Zeitplan. Celtic Diekirch. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Hendrix, Ivo (2005-02-14). Sultan Khamis Zaman beats a strong field in the Diekirch Eurocross. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Hendrix, Ivo (2009-02-13). Sandell-Hyvärynen and Sigei favourites in Diekirch Eurocross. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Hendrix, Ivo (2008-02-18). Dejaeghere the dominant winner at Diekirch Eurocross. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Wenig, Jörg (2007-02-12). Sultan Khamis Zaman and Veerle Dejaeghere win Diekirch Eurocross. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Civai, Franco & Gasparovic, Juraj (2009-02-28). Eurocross 10.2 km (men) + 5.3 km (women). Association of Road Racing Statisticians. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Hendrix, Ivo (2010-03-01). Nkuzimana and Mimi Belete the strongest in Diekirch. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Events. Celtic Diekirch. Retrieved on 2010-03-01.
- Past medallists from Celtic Diekirch website