Europe by Satellite
Europe by Satellite (EbS) is the TV information service of the European Union which consist of 2 TV channels: EbS and EbS+. It is managed by the European Commission however it broadcasts images coming from all EU Institutions like the European Parliament, the European Council, the European Central Bank, the Committee of the Regions, the European Court of Justice.
EbS was launched in 1995 with the purpose of providing TV and radio stations with pictures and sounds coming from the EU, in all 24 EU official languages. The programming consists of a mix of live events, stock shots, edited programmes and videoclips on EU subjects produced by various EU Institutions and Directorates.
Satellite Footprint for EbS
EbS service is available via unencrypted satellite signals and the services are on Eutelsat 9A. The satellite footprint coveres all Europe, North Africa and Middle East, Asia. More details here
EbS service is also available on-line, on the Audiovisual Portal managed by the European Commission where the schedule of both channels is available for streaming and download purposes. Download functionalities offer several file formats: MP3 for audio files, MPEG2 broadcast quality and MPEG4 web quality for the video files. In addition the video embed code is also available for the user.
- inter-institutional content, coming from the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union, the European Central Bank and other institutions of the EU;
- live coverage of events, press conferences, briefings, EP plenary sessions, ceremonies;
- stockshots and programmes produced by EC services and other EU institutions;
- the material on EbS may freely be used by media professionals. The restrictions are given here.
- on line streaming of EbS on the internet, low resolution, live and on demand (up to 7 days), and in 24 languages – a unique service on the World Wide Web;
- on line broadcast quality TV and radio files, available for download on internet, allowing the EU to reach broadcasters anywhere in the world;