Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy
|Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy|
|European Parliament group|
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group logo
|Name||Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy|
|Formal name||Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group|
|From||1 July 2009 (EFD)
24 June 2014 (EFDD)
|Preceded by||Europe of Freedom and Democracy|
|Chaired by||Nigel Farage (UKIP)
David Borrelli (M5S)
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy (EFDD) is a Eurosceptic political group in the European Parliament. The EFDD group is a continuation for the 8th European Parliament of the Europe of Freedom and Democracy (EFD) group that existed during the 7th European Parliament, with some significant changes in group membership. It is perceived as the most Euro-sceptical political group in Parliament.
7th European Parliament
Formation for the 8th European Parliament
Following the 2014 European parliament elections, the Europe of Freedom and Democracy (EFD) group faced difficulties reforming for the 8th European Parliament, with various member parties and MEPs of the previous term's EFD either defecting to different parliamentary groups or failing to be re-elected.
On 12 June 2014, the Five Star Movement (M5S) of Italy, having been rejected by The Greens/EFA and Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe groups, offered its activists a limited-choice online referendum to choose a European Parliament group for the party, in which 78% of participating activists voted for the EFD.
The EFD group was reformed on 18 June 2014 with MEPs from existing member parties UK Independence Party and Order and Justice, in addition to new affiliates the Five Star Movement, the Sweden Democrats, the Party of Free Citizens of the Czech Republic, the Union of Greens and Farmers of Latvia and a French independent MEP formerly of the National Front.
On 24 June 2014, the EFD group name was revised to Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy (EFDD), and David Borrelli of the Five Star Movement was chosen as the incoming group's new co-president.
8th European Parliament, 2014–2019
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy has currently 48 elected members as follows:
|Member state||Party||MEPs||Previous group||Additional notes|
|Czech Republic||Party of Free Citizens||N/A|
|France||Joëlle Bergeron (independent MEP)||N/A||Former FN member|
|Italy||Five Star Movement||N/A|
|Latvia||Union of Greens and Farmers||N/A|
|Lithuania||Order and Justice||Europe of Freedom and Democracy|
|United Kingdom||UK Independence Party||Europe of Freedom and Democracy|
- Andreas Staab (24 June 2011). The European Union Explained, Second Edition: Institutions, Actors, Global Impact. Indiana University Press. p. 67–. ISBN 0-253-00164-1.
- Parties and Elections in Europe: The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck
- Morris, Chris. "Realpolitik: EU dominated by German power play". BBC.com. BBC News. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "After the elections – the European political groups | Counterpoint". Counterpoint.uk.com. 2014-06-26. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Keating, Dave. "ECR group takes two parties from Farage". European Voice. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Henriette Jacobsen. "Eurosceptic Danes and Finns leave Farage's group". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Nielsen, Nikolaj. "EUobserver / Greens reject Beppe Grillo's offer to team up". Euobserver.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Press Release". Alde.eu. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Altri articoli dalla categoria ». "Alleanze in Europa, il M5S sceglie l'Ukip di Farage. Ma la base accusa: votazione pilotata". Repubblica.it. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- europe online publishing house gmbh - europeonline-magazine.eu (2014-05-16). "1ST LEAD Italy protest party to form EU alliance with British eurosceptics UKIP By Alvise Armellini, dpa | EUROPE ONLINE". En.europeonline-magazine.eu. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- EurActiv.com (2014-06-17). "Dutch MEP joins Conservatives, Farage in trouble". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- By Euobserver. "EUobserver / Farage creates eurosceptic group in EP". Euobserver.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- James Crisp (2014-06-18). "Le Pen candidate joins Farage's new EFD group". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Bruxelles, prima riunione gruppo Ukip-M5S. Farage e Borrelli presidenti – Video Il Fatto Quotidiano TV". Tv.ilfattoquotidiano.it. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Internazionale » M5S » All’Europarlamento nasce gruppo Efd, “coppia aperta” per M5s-Ukip". Internazionale.it. 2014-06-24. Retrieved 2014-07-10.