Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy
|Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy|
|European Parliament group|
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group logo
|Name||Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy|
|Formal name||Europe of freedom and direct democracy Group|
|European parties||Alliance for Direct Democracy in Europe|
|From||24 June 2014 (1st)
20 October 2014 (2nd)
|To||17 October 2014 (1st)|
|Preceded by||Europe of Freedom and Democracy|
|Chaired by||Nigel Farage (UKIP)
David Borrelli (M5S)
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy (EFDD or EFD2) is a Eurosceptic political group in the European Parliament. The EFDD group is a continuation for the 8th European Parliament of the Europe of Freedom and Democracy (EFD) group that existed during the 7th European Parliament, with significant changes to group membership.
7th European Parliament
Formation for the 8th European Parliament
Following the 2014 European parliament elections, the Europe of Freedom and Democracy (EFD) group faced difficulties reforming for the 8th European Parliament, with various member parties and MEPs of the previous term's EFD either defecting to different parliamentary groups or failing to be re-elected.
On 12 June 2014, the Five Star Movement (M5S) of Italy, having been rejected by The Greens/EFA and Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe groups, offered its activists a limited-choice online referendum to choose a European Parliament group for the party, in which 78% of participating activists voted for the EFD.
The EFD group was reformed on 18 June 2014 with MEPs from existing member parties UK Independence Party and Order and Justice, in addition to new affiliates the Five Star Movement, the Sweden Democrats, the Party of Free Citizens of the Czech Republic, the Latvian Farmers Union and a French independent MEP formerly of the National Front.
On 24 June 2014, the EFD group name was revised to Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy (EFDD), and David Borrelli of the Five Star Movement was chosen as the incoming group's new co-president.
On 16 October 2014, it was announced that Iveta Grigule MEP from the Latvian Farmers Union had defected from the EFDD, resulting in the collapse of the group because it no longer was composed of representatives from at least a quarter of the Member States. The criterion was restored on 20 October, with one Polish MEP, Robert Iwaszkiewicz from Congress of the New Right (KNP), joining the group, although the party's other MEPs remained Non-Inscrits. In January 2015 Amjad Bashir was suspended from UKIP pending a party investigation into financial fraud. He defected to the Conservatives within an hour of his suspension.
8th European Parliament, 2014
Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy has 47 elected members as follows:
|Member state||Party||MEPs||Previous group||Additional notes|
|Czech Republic||Party of Free Citizens||N/A|
|France||Joëlle Bergeron (independent MEP)||N/A||Former FN member|
|Italy||Five Star Movement||N/A|
|Lithuania||Order and Justice||EFD|
|Poland||Robert Iwaszkiewicz||N/A||Member of Congress of the New Right|
|United Kingdom||UK Independence Party||EFD|
|Member state||Party||MEPs||Moved to|
|Latvia||Latvian Farmers' Union||Iveta Grigule||Non-Inscrits|
|United Kingdom||Former UKIP
- Andreas Staab (24 June 2011). The European Union Explained, Second Edition: Institutions, Actors, Global Impact. Indiana University Press. p. 67–. ISBN 0-253-00164-1.
- Parties and Elections in Europe: The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck
- Morris, Chris. "Realpolitik: EU dominated by German power play". BBC.com. BBC News. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "After the elections – the European political groups | Counterpoint". Counterpoint.uk.com. 2014-06-26. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Keating, Dave. "ECR group takes two parties from Farage". European Voice. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Henriette Jacobsen. "Eurosceptic Danes and Finns leave Farage's group". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Nielsen, Nikolaj. "EUobserver / Greens reject Beppe Grillo's offer to team up". Euobserver.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Press Release". Alde.eu. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Altri articoli dalla categoria ». "Alleanze in Europa, il M5S sceglie l'Ukip di Farage. Ma la base accusa: votazione pilotata". Repubblica.it. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- europe online publishing house gmbh - europeonline-magazine.eu (2014-05-16). "1ST LEAD Italy protest party to form EU alliance with British eurosceptics UKIP By Alvise Armellini, dpa | EUROPE ONLINE". En.europeonline-magazine.eu. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- EurActiv.com (2014-06-17). "Dutch MEP joins Conservatives, Farage in trouble". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Euobserver. "EUobserver / Farage creates eurosceptic group in EP". Euobserver.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- James Crisp (2014-06-18). "Le Pen candidate joins Farage's new EFD group". EurActiv. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Bruxelles, prima riunione gruppo Ukip-M5S. Farage e Borrelli presidenti – Video Il Fatto Quotidiano TV". Tv.ilfattoquotidiano.it. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- "Internazionale » M5S » All’Europarlamento nasce gruppo Efd, "coppia aperta" per M5s-Ukip". Internazionale.it. 2014-06-24. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- UKIP's alliance in Europe rescued by Polish MEP, BBC News, 20 October 2014
- "Ukip MEP Amjad Bashir defects to Conservative Party". The Daily Telegraph. 24 January 2015.