European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
|Type||Medical research, education, training|
|Focus||Clinical pharmacology and therapeutics|
|European Union and external international|
|Gonzalo Calvo Rojas (Chairman)|
The European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (EACPT) is a learned society in the field of clinical pharmacology. It is the leading society in Europe serving the European and global clinical pharmacology and therapeutics community. It has its origins in a working party in the early 1980s under the auspices of the World Health Organisation (WHO-Europe). Subsequently, a committee was created in 1993 chaired by Folke Sjöqvist with the remit to prepare the first congress of EACPT, held in Paris in 1995. At that congress the founding EACPT Council elected an Executive Committee with Sjöqvist as chairman, Michael Orme (United Kingdom) as Honorary Secretary, Jochen Kuhlmann (Germany) as Treasurer, and Giampaolo Velo (Italy) as Vice-Chairman, with 26 European countries as members through their home country clinical pharmacology society or section. The EACPT now includes all national organisations for clinical pharmacology in Europe and provides educational and scientific support for the more than 4000 individual professionals interested in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics throughout the European region, with its congresses attended by a global audience.
The EACPT promotes in Europe professional and ethical excellence and standards for clinical use of medicines and clinical research on drugs. The EACPT also aims to advise policy makers on how the specialty can contribute to human health and wealth.
Activities of the EACPT include advice to policy makers and agencies in Europe, holding European congresses and workshops, and publishing policy papers, meeting reports, proceedings of congresses and constituent symposia, and contents of specific lectures. The EACPT also holds summer schools.
Summer Schools and Focused Meetings
- 2001 Antalya, Turkey
- 2003 Budapest, Hungary
- 2004 Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2006 Vrsac, Serbia
- 2007 Ghent, Belgium
- 2008 Madrid, Spain
- 2009 Alexandroupolis, Greece
- 2010 Dresden, Germany
- 2012 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Education
- 2013 Edinburgh, Scotland - Practice and Governance
- 2014 Nijmegen, Netherlands - Cardiovascular
Congresses are open to delegates from Europe and anywhere in the world, including health professionals, researchers, biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry professionals, regulators, policy makers, ethicists and others interested in drug discovery, and in clinical, cost-effectiveness and safety of medicines and related biomarkers.
- 1995 Paris
- 1997 Berlin
- 1999 Jerusalem
- 2000 Florence
- 2001 Odense
- 2003 Istanbul
- 2005 Poznan
- 2007 Amsterdam
- 2009 Edinburgh
- 2011 Budapest
- 2013 Geneva
- 2015 Madrid
- 2017 Prague
- 2019 Stockholm
Lifetime achievement awards
- 2009 Folke Sjöqvist, Sweden
- 2011 Sir Colin Dollery, United Kingdom
- 2013 Carlo Patrono, Italy and Sir Michael Rawlins, United Kingdom
Scientific award for best publication
- 2009 Ian Wilkinson, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 2011 Tabassome Simon, Paris, France
- 2013 David Devos, Lille, France
Special award for services to EACPT
- 2013 Michael Orme, United Kingdom
The EACPT is led by an Executive Committee formed from a council of delegates from affiliated national societies for clinical pharmacology and therapeutics. The executive committee officers from the 2011 biennial congress in Budapest are: Gonzalo Calvo Rojas (Spain, chairman), Tabassome Simon (France, vice-chairman), Donald Singer (United Kingdom, secretary), and Kari Kivisto (Finland, treasurer).
Official EACPT Journal
- Dahlqvist, Rune; Lange, Rolf; Cheymol, Georges; Orme, Michael; Sjöqvist, Folke (1995). "European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology becomes the official organ of European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 48 (5). doi:10.1007/BF00194942.
- "EACPT Historical Make up of Exec Comm Sept 2007 | European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Eacpt.org. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Perucca, E (1999). "EACPT Third Congress. Neuropsychiatric therapies". IDrugs 2 (12): 1269–70. PMID 16113953.
- "Presentation at EACPT | September | 2007 | News | Simcyp - Population Based Pharmacokinetic Modelling and Simulation". Simcyp. 2007-07-16. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- "EACPT Awards | European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Eacpt.org. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Colin Dollery". ELRIG. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Simon, Tabassome; Verstuyft, Céline; Mary-Krause, Murielle; Quteineh, Lina; Drouet, Elodie; Méneveau, Nicolas; Steg, P. Gabriel; Ferrières, Jean et al. (2009). "Genetic Determinants of Response to Clopidogrel and Cardiovascular Events". New England Journal of Medicine 360 (4): 363–75. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0808227. PMID 19106083.[not in citation given]
- "Executive Committee Members | European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Eacpt.org. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Members | European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Eacpt.org. Retrieved 2012-05-13.