European Athlete of the Year Trophy
The European Athlete of the Year Trophy is an annual prize awarded to sportspeople participating in athletics, including track and field, road running and cross country running competitions. The election has been organised by the European governing body for the sport of athletics, the European Athletic Association (EAA), since 1993.
Each year, a shortlist is created by selecting the top European athlete in each event, based upon performances at the year's major championships. Only in exceptional circumstances will more than one athlete be shortlisted per event. Athletes who have served a doping ban of two years or more are ineligible. Via the EAA website, fans, media and members of the EAA federations are allowed to vote for five male and five female athletes on the list, with athletes receiving one to five points based on their ranking. A panel of experts also cast their votes. The votes of each of the four groups comprises 25% of the athletes' total scores, and the male and female athletes with the highest combined points totals win.
The European Athletics Rising Star of the Year Award was inaugurated in 2007. The award, open to athletes under 23 years of age, was created as a way of acknowledging young competitors' achievements on their way to becoming senior athletes.
Rising Star winners
|2007||Andrew Howe||Jessica Ennis|
|2008||Raphael Holzdeppe||Stephanie Twell|
|2009||Christophe Lemaitre||Karoline Bjerkeli Grøvdal|
|2010||Teddy Tamgho||Sandra Perković|
|2011||David Storl||Jodie Williams|
|2012||Pavel Maslák||Angelica Bengtsson|
|2013||Emir Bekrić||Aníta Hinriksdóttir|
- Spain's Domínguez named women's European Athlete of the Year. European Athletics (2009-10-01). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- Britain's Idowu named men's European Athlete of the Year. European Athletics (2009-10-02). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- European Athlete of the Year Award nominations for 2009. European Athletics (2009-09-14). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- European Athletics Rising Star Awards nominations for 2009 . European Athletics (2009). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- Idowu and Domínguez win European Athlete of the Year Awards. IAAF (2009-10-02). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- Jessica Ennis wins European Athletics Rising Star Award. UK Athletics (2007-09-26). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- MONDO becomes presenting partner for European Athletics Awards Night. European Athletics (2009-09-01). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- Update EAA – Newsletter of the European Athletics Association. European Athletics (October 2002). Retrieved on 2009-10-02.
- Ukrainian Bondarenko announced best European Athlete of 2013, Interfax-Ukraine (14 October 2013)