European Graduate School
|European Graduate School|
|Europäische Universität für Interdisziplinäre Studien|
The European Graduate School (EGS) in Saas-Fee, Switzerland is a privately funded graduate school founded by the non-profit European Foundation of Interdisciplinary Studies. Its German name is Europäische Universität für Interdisziplinäre Studien ("European University for Interdisciplinary Studies"). It is governed by a presidential board that includes a representative of the Swiss canton of Valais. Instruction is in English.
EGS was established in 1994 as a postgraduate degree-granting school with two divisions: Media and Communications; and Arts, Health and Society. The setting of the campus in the Alps is at an altitude of 1,800 m (6,000 ft), with a magnificent view of some of Switzerland's highest mountains.
It is accredited by a school council ("Hochschulrat") in which the Canton of Valais is represented with at least one member. Degrees from EGS are not recognized by Germany, nor by several US states, including Maine, Texas and Oregon. The school is also not accredited by the Swiss University Conference, the main regulatory body for universities in Switzerland (in Switzerland, unlike in other European countries, the accreditation system operates on a voluntary basis).
Media and Communications Division
The Media and Communication Department focuses on creative breakthroughs and theoretical paradigm shifts, bringing together master's and doctoral students with an interest in art, philosophy, communications, film, literature, internet, web and cyberspace studies with artists, writers, and philosophers.
Faculty and guest lecturers give 3- to 6-day-long courses during the 4-week summer seminars. Visiting faculty have included Giorgio Agamben, Chantal Akerman, Pierre Alféri, Alain Badiou, Lewis Baltz, Jason Barker, Julian Barnes, Jean Baudrillard, Yve-Alain Bois, Catherine Breillat, Victor Burgin, Judith Butler, Sophie Calle, Hélène Cixous, Diane Davis, Manuel DeLanda, Claire Denis, Jacques Derrida, Tracey Emin, Bracha Ettinger, Christopher Fynsk, Antony Gormley, Peter Greenaway, Durs Grünbein, Werner Hamacher, Barbara Hammer, Donna Haraway, Michael Hardt, Martin Hielscher, Michel Houellebecq, Shelley Jackson, Mitchell Joachim, Friedrich Kittler, Claude Lanzmann, Christian Marclay, Colum McCann, Carl Mitcham, Jean-Luc Nancy, Klaus Ottmann, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Cornelia Parker, Laurence A. Rickels, Avital Ronell, Paul D. Miller a.k.a. DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid, Wolfgang Schirmacher, Volker Schlöndorff, Michael Schmidt[disambiguation needed], Bruce Sterling, Allucquére Sandy Stone, Elia Suleiman, Friedrich Ulfers, Gregory Ulmer, Agnès Varda, Paul Virilio, Victor J. Vitanza, Hubertus von Amelunxen, Margarethe von Trotta, John Waters, Samuel Weber, Caveh Zahedi, Krzysztof Zanussi, Siegfried Zielinski, Slavoj Žižek and Jan Zwicky.
Studies involve two years of coursework, including rigorous on-line writing requirements based upon a structured reading list, and two three-week summer seminars in Switzerland, during which students are evaluated for their active participation in nine hours of seminars and lectures each day with visiting professors, philosophers, filmmakers, and artists and spend their final three years writing a thesis or dissertation, followed by a traditional oral defense.
Slavoj Žižek described his involvement in EGS in an interview with Swiss magazine Die Weltwoche:
There is an international summer school, the European Graduate School... What is interesting with this school is the selection of lecturers – there are well-known philosophers and artists from the whole world, including filmmakers Peter Greenaway and Volker Schlöndorff, theorists Donna Haraway and Sandy Stone, and philosophers Giorgio Agamben, Alain Badiou and I. We three are friends. We meet there each year, are engaged for three weeks. I can bring my wife, do a 90-minute lecture each morning and am free afterwards.
Slavoj Žižek also described the rigor and prestige of EGS as an academic institution during an interview in 2006:
EGS is not only a place to create an interaction between students, but gives them freedom. Not freedom to do nothing, but precisely freedom to work in this creative inter-space. Also, the way the talks are done, we do very serious theoretical work here. I like how the school approaches me. You know, I had to be there for exams for the students so I thought how should I terrorize them, I told them: "You ask yourself a question and then you answer it". Ah, but you know, they didn’t have any excuses. They couldn’t have said: "Ah, sorry, I could not answer you." They had to be at their best. No excuses. We are challenged to do so. So, it’s wonderful to see how somebody like Badiou comes; it’s like work in progress that you can see. It’s really serious work. It’s enough mixing between students and professors as equals so that you can get real productive exchange, not just ritualistic questions, answers and so on. I think this is what accounts for the growing success of EGS. It’s simply a negative proof of the failure of today’s academia.
EGS has established curricular cooperation with:
- Beit Berl Academic College. Doar Beit Berl, (Israel)
- Clemson University, College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. Clemson, South Carolina.
- 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos. Mexico
- Internationale Hochschule für künstlerische Therapien und Kreativpädagogik, Calw, Germany.
Notes and references
- Canton Du Valais |Kanton Wallis Department of Education. Listing of universities and research institutions Accessed: May 5, 2010.
- European Graduate School. About European Graduate School. Accessed: May 5, 2010.
- Kanton Wallis. Präsidium des Staatsrates. Staatskanzlei. Auszug aus dem Protokoll der Sitzungen des Staatsrates. February 28, 2007.
- Academic accreditation in Switzerland
- Gregory, Derek. "The black flag: Guantánamo Bay and the space of exception": Geografiska Annaler. Series B: Human Geography. December 2006, Vol. 88 Issue 4, Pages: 405–427
- Kuhn, Albert. Interview mit einem schnellen Brüter. Die Weltwoche. No. 45/05, 2005
- e-flux. Think Media: The Black Mountain College is back - in Switzerland! Gregory Ulmer. e-flux. International network of Visual Art Professionals. 2002
- Johns Hopkins University.Author biography: Giorgio Agamben. Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Fedianina, Olga. 6. Juni 1950: Chantal Akerman. Jüdische Zeitung. Unabhängige Monatszeitung für zeitgenössisches Judentum. June 2006
- Haber, John. Chantal Akerman: Bordering on Fiction. Haber Arts.
- Kathleen Ruiz. Associate Professor of Electronic Arts. Faculty Page at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. (Accessed October 2007)
- University of Buffalo.Bilingual reading by Pierre Alféri Accessed: August 4th, 2011
- Beit Berl Academic College. The School of Multi-Disciplinary Studies at Beit Berl College and EGS. Beit Berl Academic College. Accessed October 30, 2007.
- Institut Français Berlin. Alain Badiou est invité d´honneur à la conférence Alain Badiou ist Ehrengast der Volksbühne von Berlin zum Anlass der Konferenz „Idee des Kommunismus-Philosophie und Kunst“ vom 25. bis 27. Juni 2010 Accessed August 4th, 2011.
- Columbia University Press Democracy in What State? Author profile Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Le Nouvel Observateur.Enquête - Nos intellos en Amérique Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Andra Matzal. Academic Conferences on YouTube. Cotidianul. September 5, 2007
- Mccarthy, Bridie. "When Poets Take Up Arms: Combating (Hyper)real Wars under the Abstractions of the New Empire." Melbourne Journal of Politics, Vol. 30, 2005
- Die Welt. Philosoph Jean Baudrillard ist tot. Die Welt. March 6, 2007
- Berliner Literaturkritik. "Die primitive Gesellschaft der Zukunft." August 20, 2004
- The South Atlantic Quarterly. "Notes on Contributors." The South Atlantic Quarterly. Spring 2002, Volume 101, Number 2, pp. 435-439
- Hans-Joachim Ruff-Stahl The Intuitive Cyborg. 2005
- Maddock, Trevor. "Surrealist poetics and the cinema of evil: the significance of the expression of sovereignty in Catherine Breillat's À ma soeur (2001)" December 2003, Volume: 3, Issue: 3, Pages: 161-171
- The French Publisher's Agency. Catherine Breillat: Obscenity and Purity Accessed: August 4th, 2011
- Istanbul 2010: European Capital of Culture. Lives and Works in Istanbul 2008 – 2009 – 2010 Guest artists: Victor Burgin Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Université de Liège.Victor Burgin Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Art Market.Victor Burgin: Biographie Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- The French Publishers' Agency.Catherine Breillat: Obscenity and Purity Accessed: August 26th, 2011.
- Lengbeyer, Lawrence A.. "Rhetoric and Anti-Semitism." Academic Questions. Spring 2004, Volume 17, Number 2, Pages: 22-32
- "Troubling identities: reflections on Judith Butler's philosophy for the sociology of education." British Journal of Sociology of Education. September 2006, Volume 27, Issue 4, Pages 421 - 424
- Borgerson, Janet. "Judith Butler: On organizing subjectivities." The Sociological Review. October 2005, Volume 53, Issue s1, Page 63 - 79
- New School Free Press. Judith Butler to Lecture at The New School Accessed: August 26th, 2011.
- The New School. PSWIP Colloquium with Judith Butler Accessed: August 26th, 2011.
- Victor J. Vitanza. Ph.D. in Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design. Program Handbook (2007–08) Study Abroad. Clemson University. College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. 2007/2008
- Martin, Adrian. Ticket to ride: Claire Denis and the cinema of the body. La Trobe University. Screening the Past. Issue 20, December 11, 2006.
- Télérama.fr. Jacques Derrida, “déconstructeur” de la pensée Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Fanthome, Christine. "The Influence and Treatment of Autobiography in Confessional Art: Observations on Tracey Emin's Feature Film Top Spot." Biography. Vol. 29, 2006
- Special Issue on Bracha L. Ettinger, Theory, Culture and Society Vol. 21(1) 2004
- Ascribe Higher Education News Service. "Binghamton University Faculty Honored by SUNY". Ascribe Higher Education News Service. November 12, 2003
- Takeuchi, Craig. "News from Hollywood North. Movie Notes." Straight. April 19, 2007, Available: http://www.straight.com/issue/2052/section/81
- BBC. Greenaway's maverick film-making. BBC. December 30, 2006
- Irish Times. "Science's gender deficit". Irish Times. March 9, 2005
- University of Alabama. Bankhead Visiting Writers Series. University of Alabama. College of Arts and Sciences, Crimson Arts. November 08, 2007
- Future of the Environment
- Wired Magazine.
- DLD Conference. Olaf Nicolai and Friedrich Kittler came together for cultural delicacies at PdM Accessed: August 26th, 2011.
- Santos, Alfredo Ortiz. "Estamos en la barbarie absoluta." Le Chronica de Hoy. (Mexico) June 16, 2006
- La Journada Semanal. El presente y lo inmemorial. June 18, 2006
- L'ARP : Société Civile des acteurs, réalisateurs, et producteurs. Profil des Membres : Claude Lanzmann. Accessed: August 1, 2011.
- BBC. Music Profiles. Christian Marclay. BBC. September 2006.
- Die Gestalten. Christian Marclay Shuffle. Die Gestalten. Event Info. 2007.
- Babelio.com. Biographie et informations: Colum McCann Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Carlson, Joannie. University Lecture Series features Mitcham and Fischhoff. The Tartan. Carnegie Mellon's Student Newspaper. October 31, 2005
- Strijbos, S and A. Basden. "In Search of an Integrative Vision for Technology" Interdisciplinary Studies in Information Systems. 2006, Page XVI
- Nancy, Jean-Luc. "A-Religion *". Journal of European Studies, Vol. 34, 2004
- Comer, T.A. "Playing at Birth: Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren". Journal of Narrative Theory. 2005, Vol. 35.2, Pages: 172-195
- Ambassade de France à Vienne. 4.11.2010 : Conférence sur le thème de "l’identité" avec M. Nancy. Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- ev+a. Curator - ev+a 2007 Klaus Ottmann. e v+ a. Annual Exhibition of Visual+ Art. 2007
- Visual Artists Ireland. ev+a Announces Curator for 2007. September - December 2006.
- Klaus Ottmann. Independent Curator. Curriculum Vitae 2007.
- Ottmann, Klaus. The Genius Decision: The Extraordinary and the Postmodern Condition. Paperback. Spring Publications, Inc. February 1, 2004, ISBN 0-88214-575-4
- Maggiori, Robert. Le fix caché d’Emma. Libération. April 2, 2009.
- New York University. Avital Ronell. New York University. Department of Comparative Literature.
- Grossman, Joan Blackout. 2003
- iQ. Im Zeitalter des Multiplen, iQ (Quartalsinfo für Uni und ETH) Nr. 44/2004.
- Harvard Crimson. Freestylin': DJ Spooky, a.k.a. Paul Miller, In His Own Words. The Harvard Crimson. March 10, 2005
- Wall, Patrick. Subliminal Messages. The Method to DJ Spooky’s Madness. Free Times. Issue #20.43, October 24, 2007, http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=1992912064227409&ShowArticle_ID=11462310071285778
- Wolfgang Schirmacher. "Net culture." Psychoanal Review. February 2007, Volume 94, Issue 1, Pages 141-9.
- Sterling, Bruce. My Dot-Green Future Is Finally Arriving. Washington Post. Sunday, March 4, 2007, Page B01
- UC Santa Cruz Currents. New media artist, writer to speak at Merrill College April 26. UC Santa Cruz Currents. April 16, 2007
- University of Texas at Austin, New Media Initiative - People
- Polity Books. The Original Accident by Paul Virilio (The European Graduate School). Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- University of Aberdeen, College of Arts & Sciences. School Awards. Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Hubertus von Ameluxen. Faculty page at International School of New Media. Accessed: October 2007.
- Hubertus von Amelunxen. Biography. ZKM Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe. 2007. Accessed November 2007
- Humboldt Universität Berlin. Fading Documents. Das Dokument zwischen Fakt und Fiktion. Humboldt Universität. Symposium. Berlin Photography Festival. October 21./22. 2005, Accessed: October 2006
- Art&Education. Hubertus von Amelunxen, new President of the Braunschweig University of Art, 100 days in office. Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Zeitgeist Films. Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen - A film by Margarethe von Trotta Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Mubi.com. The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Accessed: August 4th, 2011.
- Busack, Michael. "New Waters flick 'A Dirty Shame'." Financial Times. America's Intelligence Wire. September 28, 2004
- Die Welt. Kurzbiografie von John Waters. Die Welt. March 12, 2007
- Florida Film Festival. A Conversation with John Waters. 2006
- Gibson, Mike. Cleaner Waters. Has shock auteur John Waters grown more accessible, or has the mainstream moved his way? MetroPulse. Knoxville's Weekly Voice. September 2007
- Caveh Zahedi. Blog.
- Denis, Sarp. On Europe and filmmaking with Polish director Zanussi. Todays Zaman. March 18, 2009
- Žižek, Slavoj. "A plea for ethical violence." The Bible and Critical Theory. December 2004, Volume 1, No. 1
- Presseurop Auteur : Slavoj Žižek. Accessed: August 1, 2011.
- Roberts, Siobhan. "It's like this, you see." The Toronto Star. July 30, 2006, IDEAS, Page D04
- Filmmaker Magazine Blog, The European Graduate School, by Scott Macaulay, March 2004
- Die Weltwoche 45/05, "Interview mit einem schnellen Brüter", by Albert Kuhn, 2005
- The European Graduate School, Slavoj Žižek, 2006
- Beit Berl College. The School of Multi-Disciplinary Studies at Beit Berl College and EGS. Beit Berl College. Accessed: 30 October 2007.
- Maestría en Teoría Crítica. 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos.
- Internationale Hochschule Calw. Staatlich anerkannte Fachhochschule für Kreativpädagogik und künstlerische Therapien. Kooperationspartner Juli 4, 2007
- European Graduate School
- Media and Communications Division
- Arts, Health and Society Division
- EGS Press Publisher of POIESIS journal
- EGS at gradschools.com
- Bruce Sterling's 2006 Summer Seminar Notes
- Jamming with Condoleezza. Interview with Greg Ulmer at EGS