European Parliamentary Labour Party
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2009)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2008)|
The European Parliamentary Labour Party is an integral part of the Socialist and Democrats (S&D) Group in the European Parliament and of the British Labour Party. Labour's Euro Parliamentarians represent their voters so as to advance democracy, social justice, prosperity, peace and sustainable development in the UK, EU and throughout the world.
- 1 Labour MEPs
- 2 European Parliamentary Labour Party officers
- 3 Socialist Group in the European Parliament
- 4 Socialist Group Bureau
- 5 Socialist Group in the European Parliament Committee co-ordinators
- 6 The following British Labour MEPs hold key positions in the European Parliament
- 7 EPLP spokespeople
- 8 External links
Labour has 20 Euro MEPs in the European Parliament. The European Parliamentary Labour Party sits as part of the multi-national Socialist Group in the European Parliament, but it has its own leadership and spokespeople representing Britain in Brussels and Strasbourg.
Below are details about positions held by Labour MEPs in the European Parliamentary Labour Party, the Socialist Group in the European Parliament and the European Parliament.
European Parliamentary Labour Party officers
- Leader: Glenis Willmott MEP
- Deputy Leader: Claude Moraes MEP
- Chair: Richard Howitt MEP
- Whip: Brian Simpson MEP
Socialist Group in the European Parliament
British Labour MEPs hold key positions in the Socialist Group in the European Parliament, a pan national group of which the Labour Party is a member. Committee co-ordinators operate as spokespeople for the Socialist Group in the European Parliament in their respective committee; they co-ordinate decisions on policy with each of the different national groups that make up the Socialist Group in the European Parliament.
Socialist Group Bureau
Vice-President Linda McAvan MEP
Socialist Group in the European Parliament Committee co-ordinators
Constitutional Affairs Committee Richard Corbett MEP Employment and Social Affairs Committee Stephen Hughes MEP
The following British Labour MEPs hold key positions in the European Parliament
- Chair of Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection Arlene McCarthy MEP
- Chair of the South Asia & SAARC Delegation Neena Gill MEP
- 1st Vice Chair of Subcommittee on Human Rights Richard Howitt MEP
- 1st Vice Chair of the Committee on Petitions Michael Cashman MEP
Labour has an official spokesperson for each committee in the European Parliament. These MEPs represent Labour policy on these committees and act as spokespeople on the subjects covered by the committee.
- Glenis Willmott is the Labour MEP for the East Midlands since February 2006 and Leader of the EPLP since January 2009.
Glenis sits on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee and is very much involved with action to combat climate change. She is also co-chair of the European Parliament Cervical Cancer Interest Group. As a former trade union organiser, health and safety at work is a big priority for Glenis and she led the Employment and Social Affairs Committee on the EU's Health and Safety at Work Strategy 2007-2013.
- Arlene McCarthy was elected to the European Parliament in 1994 and has been Labour MEP for the North West region since 1999.
Arlene is Vice Chair of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee and will continue to be an active member of the committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection.
- Derek Vaughan was elected as Labour Party Member of the European Parliament for Wales in June 2009. He is a full member of the Industry, Research and Energy Committee, and a substitute member of the Budget Committee and the Budgetary Control Committee.
- Mary Honeyball represents the London Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Camden, Croydon, Greenwich, Kensington & Chelsea, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark, Wandsworth and Westminster. Mary Honeyball was elected to the European Parliament in 2000, as a Labour MEP for London, after 30 years in Labour politics. She previously served as a London Borough Councillor and was a school governor for over 20 years.
- Michael Cashman is MEP for the West Midlands region representing Sandwell, Dudley, Walsall, Coventry, Warwickshire & Staffordshire in the European Parliament.
- Richard Corbett is the Deputy Leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party and represents Bradford, Calderdale, East Yorkshire, Hull, Leeds, North Yorkshire, Wakefield and York in the Yorkshire & the Humber region.
- Stephen Hughes represents the North East of England covering Darlington, Durham, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Northumberland, Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton on Tees and Tyne and Wear. Stephen Hughes MEP is a politician very close to the trade union movement. The focus of his work has always been on better rights and protection for workers, those outside of the world of work, and their families, both within Europe and beyond.
- David Martin is a Member of the European Parliament representing Scotland.
- Linda McAvan represents Barnsley, Doncaster, Kirklees, North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, Rotherham, Sheffield and Wakefield in the Yorkshire and the Humber region.
- Arlene McCarthy represents Chester, Crosby, Ellesmere Port & Neston, Liverpool, Manchester, Oldham, Sefton, Stockport, Tameside and Wirral in the North West of England.
- Claude Moraes represents the London Boroughs of Barnet, Barking & Dagenham, City, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Havering, Islington, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest. » more Eluned Morgan MEP
- Richard Howitt represents the East of England covering Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, and Suffolk.
- Brian Simpson represents Allerdale, Barrow-in-Furness, Carlisle, Congleton, Copeland, Crewe & Nantwich, Eden, Halton, Knowsley, Macclesfield, South Lakeland, St Helens, Vale Royal, Warrington and Wigan.
- Peter Skinner represents Bracknell Forest, Brighton & Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway Towns, Milton Keynes, Newbury, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Sussex, Windsor & Maidenhead and Wokingham in the South East of England.
- Catherine Stihler is a Member of the European Parliament for Scotland.