Mendes at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival
March 5, 1974 |
Miami, Florida, United States
|Occupation||Actress, model, singer, designer|
Eva De Reyes Mendes (born March 5, 1974) is an actress, model, singer, and homeware and clothing designer. She began acting in the late 1990s, and after a series of roles in B movies such as Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (1998) and Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000), she broke into the Hollywood mainstream with an appearance in Training Day (2001). She has since starred in many films, including All About The Benjamins (2002); 2 Fast 2 Furious, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Out of Time and Stuck on You (all 2003); Hitch (2005); Ghost Rider and We Own the Night (both 2007); The Spirit (2008); The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009); The Other Guys and Last Night (both 2010); Holy Motors and Girl in Progress (both 2012) and The Place Beyond the Pines (2013).
Mendes has worked as a spokesmodel for Cocio chocolate milk, Magnum ice cream, Revlon make-up, Calvin Klein underwear and perfume, Cartier jewelry, Thierry Mugler perfume, Reebok trainers, Campari apéritif, Pantene shampoo, Morgan clothes and Peek & Cloppenburg clothes. Mendes is the creator of a home decor line, Vida, sold exclusively at Macy's. She launched a bedding collection in 2008 and a dinnerware collection in 2010. She designed a fashion collection for New York & Company in 2013. Mendes is a singer: she has recorded a version of The Windmills of Your Mind and has collaborated with Cee Lo Green on a song entitled Pimps Don't Cry. She lives in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Mendes was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban parents, and was raised in the Los Angeles suburb of Glendale, by her mother, after her parents' divorce. Mendes has said that her mother (who was a stay-at-home mom until she became an accountant when Eva went to school) "suffered so much to make my life OK" during Mendes' early years. Her mother worked for an aerospace company and her father ran a meat distribution business. Mendes was raised a Roman Catholic and aspired to be a nun. She attended Hoover High School in Glendale and later attended California State University, Northridge to study marketing, but dropped out after wanting to begin an acting career. She studied acting under Ivana Chubbuck. Before Mendes got her big break, she sold ‘Hot Dog on a Stick’ at Glendale Galleria Mall in California. Growing up, Eva's role model was Cindy Crawford.
While Mendes "always had high hopes" for herself, she didn't consider an acting career until a talent manager saw her photo in a friend's portfolio. Her first film appearance was in the direct-to-video Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror. Mendes was "so ashamed" by her performance in the film that she decided to hire an acting coach so that she wouldn't "squirm" when watching herself in future roles. In this period of her career, she also starred in A Night at the Roxbury, Mortal Kombat: Conquest, My Brother the Pig, The Disciples, Urban Legends: Final Cut and Exit Wounds.
Mendes' breakthrough role came when she appeared in Training Day as the girlfriend of Denzel Washington's character. She found it to be a fulfilling experience: "I thought, 'This is what people meant about acting." That performance led to roles in All About the Benjamins, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (which earned her a nomination at the Teen Choice Awards), Out of Time and Stuck on You. She was the female lead in the 2005 comedy Hitch opposite Will Smith. They were the first minority actors to play leads in a hit romantic comedy. She then starred in The Wendell Baker Story, Guilty Hearts, Trust the Man, and Ghost Rider. In 2007, she starred alongside Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Wahlberg, and Robert Duvall in the film We Own the Night. She also starred in Live! and Cleaner.
In 2008, she was nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for her performance in The Women. She next starred in The Spirit, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, The Other Guys, Last Night and Fast Five. In August 2010, Mendes appeared in a Funny or Die video spoof, selling her "S.E.X. tape". She also sang for the Funny or Die music video "Pimps Don't Cry," a song featured in The Other Guys, released on August 6, 2010.
In 2012, Eva Mendes was featured in the PBS documentary Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide. She visited Sierra Leone to speak with rape victims and raise awareness of the problems in the area. Mendes most recently starred as Romina in The Place Beyond the Pines, released March 2013, with Ryan Gosling. Entertainment Weekly described her performance in the film as "quietly heartbreaking."
Mendes appeared in Will Smith's video "Miami" and the Pet Shop Boys' music video for "Se a vida é (That's the way life is)" in 1996 and Aerosmith's video "Hole in My Soul" in 1997. She also appeared in the video for The End Has No End by The Strokes in 2004. Mendes was employed by Revlon Cosmetics as an international spokeswoman and was also a supporter and active participant in Revlon's campaign to raise funds for breast cancer research. Mendes appeared nude in an ad for Calvin Klein's Secret Obsession perfume. Since there was exposure of her nipples in the ad, it was banned from airing in the United States. In 2007, she was named as an ambassador for Cartier. In December 2007, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) used a nude photo of Mendes for their anti-fur campaign alongside the tagline "Fur? I'd rather go naked." She modelled in a Morgan campaign. Mendes was a spokesmodel for the 2008 Campari calendar. Mendes was announced as the international face of Australia's 30 Days of Fashion & Beauty event in July 2008. She made guest appearances in that country at the month-long festival in September.
In October 2008, she toured various stores in Europe, including Harrods, to promote Calvin Klein's Seductive Comfort line of lingerie. In 2009, Mendes was announced as a Pleasure Ambassador for ice cream brand Magnum. In 2010, Mendes was the face of chocolate milk brand Cocio. In March 2011, it was announced that Mendes will be a new spokeswoman for Thierry Mugler's Angel fragrance. Also in 2011, she was named as the brand ambassador for Reebok Easytone trainers and Pantene shampoo. She also modeled in a Peek & Cloppenburg clothing catalog in 2011.
Mendes was voted as No. 4 in the 2008 edition, and No. 1 in the 2009 edition, of AskMen.com's Top 99 Most Desirable Women. Maxim ranked Mendes #7 in its 2007 Hot 100 issue. She also made her second Maxim cover in the November 2007 issue. Maxim ranked Mendes #11 in its 2010 Hot 100 issue. People named her one of 2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age.
Mendes runs a home decor line, Vida, with her former longterm partner George Augusto. On September 4, 2008, Mendes announced she was launching a line of bed linens available in Macy's stores. In 2010, Mendes launched a line of dinnerware at Macy's stores. In February 2013, she announced plans to design a fashion collection in partnership with New York & Company.
Mendes spent several weeks at the Cirque Lodge addiction facility in 2008 to address "some personal issues". She later said that she will never publicly disclose details of her condition because "I have to think of the pain it might bring my mother." She now attends therapy sessions which have "enriched my life. I come from a family and a heritage where you don't really go to therapy unless you're crazy. I want people to know that that's so not the case." Mendes is an avid follower of transcendental meditation. She has expressed an interest in Ayn Rand, the founder of the individualist philosophy of Objectivism.
|1998||Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror||Kir|
|1998||A Night at the Roxbury||Bridesmaid|
|1998||Mortal Kombat: Konquest||Hanna||guest star, one episode|
|1999||My Brother the Pig||Matilda|
|2000||The Disciples||Maria Serranco|
|2000||Urban Legends: Final Cut||Vanessa Valdeon|
|2001||Training Day||Sara Harris|
|2002||All About the Benjamins||Gina|
|2003||2 Fast 2 Furious||Monica Fuentes|
|2003||Once Upon a Time in Mexico||Ajedrez Barillo|
|2003||Out of Time||Alex Díaz Whitlock|
|2003||Stuck on You||April|
|2005||The Wendell Baker Story||Doreen|
|2006||Trust the Man||Faith|
|2007||Ghost Rider||Roxanne Simpson|
|2007||We Own the Night||Amada Juarez|
|2008||The Women||Crystal Allen|
|2008||The Spirit||Sand Saref|
|2009||The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans||Frankie Donnenfeld|
|2010||The Other Guys||Sheila Gamble|
|2011||Fast Five||Monica Fuentes||(uncredited cameo)|
|2012||Holy Motors||Kay M|
|2012||Girl in Progress||Grace|
|2013||The Place Beyond the Pines||Romina|
|2014||How to Catch a Monster||Diana|
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1249). Mar 8, 2013. p. 20.
- Morgan, Sal (2007-02-19). "Viva Eva – one gutsy, cool gal". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- "Fresh out of rehab, Eva Mendes talks to Helen Barlow about being beautiful, seeing a shrink and why no one believes she has a boyfriend.". smh. February 18, 2008. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Eva Mendes: Catholic upbringing made sex scene tough". Fametastic. 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Eva Mendes studied acting under Ivana Chubbuck". tv.com. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "About Eva Mendes". July 10, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes: Trivia". evamendes.net. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Eva Mendes Interview: Hitch is a rising star. Bahcecik.ipower.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Eva Mendes Biography. People.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Eva Mendes Biography. People.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- (German) 2009 Razzies: Golden Raspberry Awards list of nominees – Nachrichten English-News – WELT ONLINE. Welt.de (2009-01-22). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- "Eva Mendes Sex Tape, Funny or Die Night Vision Promo". National Ledger. August 4, 2010. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "Watch Eva Mendes' Other Guys End Credits Song". Cinema Blend. 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "Mendes visits Sierra Leone" October 24, 2011, Toronto Sun
- "Eva Mendes: All About The Place Beyond The Pines" March 28, 2013, Finance Foodie Media
- Nashawaty, Chris. "The Place Beyond the Pines". Entertainment Weekly.
- "In Step With: Eva Mendes". Parade Magazine. January 30, 2005.
- "Eva Mendes Naked In Banned Calvin Klein Ad". Huffington Post. August 4, 2008.
- Cartier Celebrates Second Annual LOVE DAY on June 8th with New Celebrity. NEW YORK, May 31 /PRNewswire/. Prnewswire.com (2007-05-31). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- "Sultry Eva Mendes Strips for PETA". The Daily Telegraph. December 7, 2007.
- "More sexy Eva Mendes ads" Huffington Post
- "Calendar Pictures". Biosstars-mx.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Eva Mendes 30 Days International Guest". ACP Magazines. 2008-08-19. Archived from the original on 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- "Seductive Comfort". Calvin Klein.
- Eva Mendes Is Magnum's Pleasure Ambassador. Starpulse.com (2009-03-18). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- " Eva Mendes skal selge sjokomelk i Norge" 21 February 2010, E24 (in Norwegian)
- "Eva Mendes Earns Her Wings as Face of Thierry Mugler’s Angel Fragrance" Style Watch News, People Magazine
- Eva Mendes is named new brand ambassador of Reebok EasyTone | Mail Online. Dailymail.co.uk (2011-01-03). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Pantene taps Eva Mendes, Naomi Watts as brand ambassadors. Drug Store News (2011-05-05). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- "Eva Mendes Stars in Peek & Cloppenburg Catalog, Campaign, and Video" April 25, 2011, Fashion etc.
- "Eva Mendes Top 99 Women 2009". AskMen.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Hot 100". Maxim. 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-11.
- "November Issue Preview". Maxim Magazine Online. November 2007. Retrieved 2006-10-13.[dead link]
- "2010 Hot 100" (in German). Maxim.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Karen J. Quan (April 20, 2012). "2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age – Eva Mendes". People. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- Eva Mendes Launches Home Decor Brand Exclusively at Macy's. Reuters (2008-09-11). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Dishing with Eva Mendes – LA Daily News. Dailynews.com (2010-02-19). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Sowray, Bibby (February 12, 2013). "Eva Mendes turns fashion designer". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Pimps Don't Cry ft. Cee-Lo Green & Eva Mendes from Eva Mendes, Cee Lo Green, Matt and Oz, Adam "Ghost Panther" McKay, Will Ferrell, Jon Brion, Antonio Scarlata, Funny Or Die, Shauna O'Toole, Josh, and Dalwolf. Funnyordie.com (2010-08-05). Retrieved on 2012-06-12.
- See Eva Mendes Sing in Super-Sexy Ad. UsMagazine.com (2011-09-24). Retrieved on 2012-06-12.
- "Eva Mendes Biography : People.com". www.people.com. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Eva Mendes: I Want To Be More Than ‘Sexy’". Access Hollywood – Celebrity News, Photos & Videos. www.accesshollywood.com. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Celebrities: Film: Eva Mendes: Celebrities. Wmagazine.com (2011-08-01). Retrieved on 2012-01-02.
- "Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Break Up? Her Rep Addresses Latest Rumors".
- Eva Mendes in Rehab. People.com (2008-02-01)
- Eva Mendes | Mendes Won't Talk About Rehab For Fear Of Upsetting Mum. Contactmusic (2008-08-06). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Eva Mendes – Page. Interview Magazine (2011-11-27). Retrieved on 2012-01-02.
- "Interview: Eva Mendes on David Lynch, Ayn Rand, and Making it in Los Angeles" August 3, 2010
- "Interview: Eva Mendes" July 20, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eva Mendes.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Eva Mendes|
- Eva Mendes at People.com
- Eva Mendes at AllRovi
- Eva Mendes at the Internet Movie Database
- Eva Mendes at the Internet Broadway Database
- Eva Mendes on Twitter