Ross in an undated photograph
|Born||Evan Olav Næss
August 26, 1988
Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.
|Other names||Evan Olav Ross|
|Spouse(s)||Ashlee Simpson (m. 2014)|
|Relatives||Diana Ross, mother|
Evan Olav Næss (born August 26, 1988), professionally known as Evan Ross, is an American actor and musician. He is the son of entertainer Diana Ross and businessman and mountaineer Arne Næss, Jr. He is the half-brother of actresses Rhonda Ross Kendrick and Tracee Ellis Ross, and of singer Leona Naess. He began acting in the mid-2000s, appearing in the films ATL and Pride. Evan released his first single in February 2011, called "Yes Me".
Ross was born Evan Olav Næss on August 26, 1988, in Greenwich, Connecticut, to entertainer Diana Ross and businessman and mountaineer Arne Næss, Jr. His father was of German and Norwegian descent and his mother is African-American. His paternal great-uncle was Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss. He has three maternal half-sisters (Tracee Ellis Ross, Rhonda Ross Kendrick and Chudney Ross), three paternal half-brothers and two paternal half-sisters (Christoffer, Nicklas, Louis, Leona Næss and Katinka), and one brother from both parents (Ross Næss). In 2004, Ross's father was killed in a climbing accident while in South Africa.
Ross began his career as an actor while a student at Greenwich High School. His first major role was in the film, ATL, released in March 2006, in which he co-starred with rappers T.I. and Big Boi. Ross received rave reviews for his role as a troubled teenager in Life Support, along with Queen Latifah and Tracee Ellis Ross, who portrayed Evan's elder sister in the movie and is his real life sister. Ross later co-starred in the biography, Pride, in which he portrayed a good natured teen with a speech impediment. He also appeared (uncredited on-screen) in episode 171 of Girlfriends. The episode, titled "What's Black-A-Lackin'?", also had Chrisette Michele as a guest star, and was directed by Tracee Ellis Ross. Ross is involved in several other movies, including Linewatch with Cuba Gooding, Jr. in 2008, and he finished a role in the indie film Life Is Hot in Cracktown. He starred as the love interest of Hilary Duff's character in the 2009 comedy drama According to Greta. He also appeared in the Notorious B.I.G. 2005 video Nasty Girl and the Lionel Richie video Just Go.
In 2010, Ross joined the cast of the CW series 90210 in its third season, where he plays Liam Court's (Matt Lanter) half brother and love interest to Annie Wilson played by Shenae Grimes. His next high profile 2011 film is the critically acclaimed film festival winner, "Mooz-lum" that also stars Danny Glover and Nia Long. He will be starring alongside Brittany Snow in the thriller 96 Minutes which was released April 28, 2012 in select cities. Evan won the "Breakout Acting" award at SXSW.
In 2007, Ross began recording his debut album, which will encompass R&B and pop. After four years in the studio, Evan released his single "Yes Me" in February 25, 2011 which was produced by Tony DeNiro & written by them together. Ross is expected to release a new single titled, "How to Live Alone" on December 12, 2014. He released a sneak preview of the song on his Instagram on December 5.
In July 2013, it was reported that Ross had begun dating singer Ashlee Simpson. Ross and Simpson became engaged in January 2014, and married on August 30, 2014 at Ross's mother's estate in Connecticut. In December 2014, Ross and Simpson announced that they are expecting their first child together, a girl. Through his marriage, Ross also has one stepson, Bronx Mowgli (born 2008), from Simpson's previous marriage to musician Pete Wentz.
In December 2014, Ross and his wife both filed requests to change their surname to Ross-Næss.
|2006||ATL||Anton "Ant" Swann|
|Life Support||Amare McCarter||Nominated – NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special|
|2008||Gardens of the Night||Donnie|
|2009||According to Greta||Julie|
|Life Is Hot in Cracktown||Romeo|
|Black Water Transit||Gary Vermillion||Unreleased Film|
|2010||Case 219||Cameron Porter|
|Brooklyn to Manhattan||Sam|
|90210||Charlie Selby||Recurring Role|
|2011||Mooz-lum||Tariq||Nominated – Black Reel Award for Best Actor|
|96 Minutes||Dre||2011 SXSW Film Festival Award for Breakthrough Performance|
|2012||Jeff, Who Lives at Home||Kevin|
|2013||CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story||Dallas Austin|
|2014||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1||Messalla|
|2015||Bad Is The New Good||Bral|
|Just Before I Go||Romeo|
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2||Messalla||Post-production|
- "Evan Ross". All Movie Guide / Rovi via The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
- "ATL, Evan Ross". People. Time. April 3, 2006. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "What's Black-A-Lackin'?". The New York Times.
- "Diana Ross' Son Joins the Cast of 90210". TVGuide.com. t
- Davis, Peter (March 27, 2007). "Beautiful People 2007: Evan Ross". Paper. Paper Publishing Company. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- Billups, Andrea (July 3, 2013). "Is Ashlee Simpson Dating Evan Ross?". People. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Cosgrove Baylis, Sheila (January 13, 2014). "Ashlee Simpson Engaged to Evan Ross". People. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- McNiece, Mia (August 31, 2014). "Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Are Married". People. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Stanhope, Kate (December 18, 2014). "Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Expecting Their First Child". TV Guide (United States: tvguide.com). CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Leon, Anya; Garcia, Jennifer (December 18, 2014). "Baby on the Way for Evan Ross and Ashlee Simpson". People (United States: people.com). Time Inc. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Finn, Natalie (December 18, 2014). "Ashlee Simpson Is Pregnant With Her and Husband Evan Ross' First Child Together". E!. United States: NBCUniversal. eonline.com. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Marisa Laudadio (November 21, 2008). "It's a Boy for Ashlee & Pete!". People. Archived from the original on December 2, 2008. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- Stutz, Colin (December 29, 2014). "Ashlee Simpson & Husband Evan Ross Changing Names to Honor Mother-In-Law Diana Ross". Billboard. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evan Ross.|