Evangelical Baptist Convention
Evangelical Baptist Convention also abbreviated as EBC is a Church denomination in Manipur. Their main area of presence is in the Southern part of Manipur. Currently there are a total of 151 Churches under it. Its headquartered at New Lamka.The Evangelical Baptist Convention is one of the biggest Churches among the tribal groups in the North Eastern part of India. Its headquarters, Dorcas Hall, is located at Hebron Veng.
The Denomination is headed by the General Secretary who is elected after a term of Three years. There are three directors under him. The Church is divided into six Administrative Divisions, each under a Division Superintendent who is also elected for a term of three years.
- Lamka North Division
- Lamka South Division
- Singngat Division
- Thanlon Division
- Vangai Division
- Mizoram Division
- Imphal Division
The Divisions were earlier called District.
The greatest duty of EBC is to praise and Worship God and Missions is its priority number one. Thus, as far as goals and objective is concerned EBC stands for missions.
Present involvement of EBC in missions is as follow:
1. Karbi Anglong Field: Focused people group - Karbi tribes in Assam state. Methods adopted are Evangelism, Church planting and School. There are 11 local Churches with a membership of 1250. Sixteen (16) missionaries worked in this field.
2. Manipur Field: Focused people group - Hindu Meitei's. Method adopted are Evangelism, Church planting and school. There are 12 local Churches and 3 Fellowships with a membership of 638. Twenty three (23) missionaries worked in this field.
3. Nepal Field: Focused people group - Hindu Nepalese of the eastern part of Nepal. Methods adopted are Evangelism, Church planting and Vocational training like Tailoring. There are 11 local churches and 5 new Fellowships with a population of 837. Fourteen (14) missionaries worked in this field.
4. Arunachal Pradesh: EBC is working in partnership with Tangsa Baptist Churches Association (TBCA). Targeted people group is the Tangsa Tribes in Changlang District. Methods of evangelism are school and music. EBC sent Six (6) Missionaries and supported Five (5) native missionaries.
- Grace Bible College Grace Bible College, an M Div level institution, is the only theological training institute of the EBC. It is affiliated/accredited to the Asia Theological Association. The college has very little basic infrastructure and needs more infrastructure to accommodate even more students, who were coming not only from Manipur, but also from neighboring states and far away places like Nepal and Myanmar. The college is unable to meet these requirements on its own. The college face even more hardships because of the ethnic violence which took place in the locality during the year 1997-98. Please pray for these.
EBC regards its Bible College as the backbone of the Church because the future of the church lies partly in the quality of training given to the students at GBC. GBC is a graduating college which offers up to M.Div. degrees affiliated by Asia Theological Association (ATA)
- Lamka Rehabilitation and Research Centre (LRRC) is a church based NGO working in the field for Prevention of Drug abuse, HIV /AIDS Harm Reduction, Care and Support and Rehabilitation of Drug addicts in the district of Churachandpur, Manipur .
- Ebenezer Academy The Ebenezer Academy, established in 1980, is an English Medium Institution which is recognized by the Board of Secondary Education, Manipur and Council of Higher Secondary Education, Manipur vide Regd. No. BSEM/64383/85 and CHSEM/1/96/96-HSC(Vil. – II)/04 & 05 respectively. It is located in the Secretariat compound of the Evangelical Baptist Convention, which is its main sponsor.
- Schools Due to non-functioning of Government schools in the interior hill areas the Church is compelled to respond to this need. The impossibility of running tuition fee schools in most areas is another added burden to the church, because the people could not afford to this. EBC has higher secondary school - 1; High school - 2; Junior High School - 10; JB School - 29; LP School - 16. Total No. of 58 Schools and 4,259 students.
Beneficiaries: 57 villages consist of non-Christian & other denominations/non EBC students.
Need: Sufficient manpower & infrastructures. Financial support from well wishers & charitable organizations.
- Convention Press - Regular staff : 5
- Casual : 2 & above as per demand - Assets : Offset printer, Electronic etc. - Print : KTZ Commentaries, Documents, School Question etc. & Orders from Outsides.
- Evangelical Book House Deals in - School text books, Theological Books, Stationary Items
Manpower - 1 regular staff, 1 & above casual if & when necessary
EBC is affiliated to Baptist World Alliance.
- Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India
- North East India Christian Council
- List of Christian denominations in North East India
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evangelical Baptist Convention.|