Evans, West Virginia
|• Total||22.084 sq mi (57.197 km2)|
|• Land||21.954 sq mi (56.861 km2)|
|• Water||0.1300 sq mi (0.3367 km2)|
|• Density||77/sq mi (30/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Evans is an unincorporated community in western Jackson County, West Virginia, United States. It lies along West Virginia Route 87 west of the city of Ripley, the county seat of Jackson County. Its elevation is 594 feet (181 m). Although Evans is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 25241. Evans is home to 20 businesses that employ 70 individuals.
According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the population of Evans is 1,710, including 867 males and 843 females. The racial make-up of the town is 99.41% White, 0.11% African American, 0.23% Hispanic, 0.52% Asian, and 0.11% other races. There are 678 households located in Evans with 2.52 persons per household.
Evans Elementary School is the only public school in Evans. Their mascot is the Bears, and it serves grades PK-5 in the Jackson County School district. The school has been named a West Virginia School of Excellence and is among the few public schools in West Virginia to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Rating of 9 out of 10 (the only school in Jackson County to do so).
Evans Community Initiative
Since 1994, Evans Community Initiative, Inc. (ECI) has contributed to improving Evans, West Virginia. As a non-profit organization, ECI strives to make Evans the very best family-oriented community all residents can continue to be proud of and enjoy. ECI is dedicated to creating a safe and beautiful environment for local families and for the next generation of families to come. From building a walking track and outdoor classroom located next to Evans Elementary, to providing support to bring new outdoor toys and recreational areas to the school's playground, ECI continues to impact lives throughout the community.
- Jessica Wedge - 2006 Miss West Virginia USA
- David C. Hardesty Jr. - 21st President of West Virginia University
- DeLorme. West Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer. 4th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2007, p. 33. ISBN 0-89933-327-3.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Evans, West Virginia, Geographic Names Information System, 1980-06-27. Accessed 2008-05-31.
- Zip Code Lookup
- "Zip Code 25241". ZipCodes.com. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- "Evans, WV". ZipCodes.com. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- "Evans Elementary School". GreatSchools. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- "Introducing Evans Community Initiative". Evans Community Initiative, Inc. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
|This article about a location in Jackson County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|