Eve C. Johnstone (born September 1944 in Glasgow), CBE MD FRCP FRCPsych DPM FMedSci FRSE is a Scottish neuroscientist. She is currently Professor of Psychiatry and Head of the Division of Psychiatry at the University of Edinburgh.
Her main research area is in the field of schizophrenia and psychotic illness. Whilst she has published extensively and many of her studies have been influential she is best known for her groundbreaking 1976 study. This involved using a CT scanner to produce brain images of schizophrenic patients which were then compared to normal controls. Using this method she was able to demonstrate anatomical differences between the brains of people with schizophrenia compared with the normal controls.
In addition to her research interests Prof. Johnstone is also a full-time Consultant Psychiatrist at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital. She also has responsibility for training Edinburgh University medical students in psychiatry. She was a member of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics 1991-1994.
Prof. Johnstone counts Opera amongst her interests.
On 15 October 2007 Eve C. Johnstone was awarded the Lieber Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Schizophrenia Research by NARSAD.
- Schizophrenia: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions series) by Christopher Frith and Eve Johnstone
- Searching for the Causes of Schizophrenia (Oxford Medical Publications) by Eve C. Johnstone, 1994
- Biological Psychiatry by Eve C. Johnstone, 1996
- Schizophrenia: Concepts and Clinical Management by Eve C. Johnstone, Martin S. Humphreys, Fiona H. Lang, and Stephen M. Lawrie, 1999
- Companion to Psychiatric Studies by Eve Johnstone, C. Freeman, and A. Zealley, 1999
- Schizophrenia: From Neuroimaging to Neuroscience by Daniel R. Weinberger, Eve C. Johnstone, 2005
- Johnstone EC, Crow TJ, Frith CD, Husband J, Kreel L (1976). "Cerebral ventricular size and cognitive impairment in chronic schizophrenia". Lancet 2 (7992): 924–6. PMID 62160.
- NARSAD to Present 2007 Prizes for Outstanding Psychiatric Research at New York Gala, October 19th - press-release at the NARSAD website, 15 October 2007.
- Eve Johnstone - psychiatrist - at Medical Research Council website
|This Scottish biographical article related to medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a psychiatrist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|