Eveline Township, Michigan
|Eveline Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.8 sq mi (95.2 km2)|
|• Land||26.0 sq mi (67.5 km2)|
|• Water||10.7 sq mi (27.8 km2)|
|Elevation||735 ft (224 m)|
|• Density||59.9/sq mi (23.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626255|
- Ironton is an unincorporated community five miles south of Charlevoix on M-66 at  at the mouth of the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix (formerly known as Pine Lake). Robert Cherry, of the Pine Lake Iron Company of Chicago, built a pig iron plant here. The plant began operations in 1881, turning iron ore brought in by barges from the Upper Peninsula into pig iron. Ironton was platted in 1884, but the plant failed in 1893. A post office was in operation from January 1881 until December 1965. The Ironton Ferry carries traffic across the south arm.
- Advance is a village on Lake Charlevoix which was settled in 1866. It had a post office from 1870-1906.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.8 square miles (95 km2), of which 26.0 square miles (67 km2) is land and 10.7 square miles (28 km2) (29.16%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,560 people, 620 households, and 489 families residing in the township. The population density was 59.9 per square mile (23.1/km²). There were 1,298 housing units at an average density of 49.8 per square mile (19.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.26% White, 0.06% African American, 2.50% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.35% of the population.
There were 620 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.4% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.0% were non-families. 17.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 23.6% from 25 to 44, 31.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,250, and the median income for a family was $51,397. Males had a median income of $34,922 versus $21,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,440. About 6.3% of families and 9.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.7% of those under age 18 and 2.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Eveline Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ironton, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- Romig, Walter. Michigan Place Names (Grosse Pointe, Michigan: Walter Romig, not dated) p. 11