17 August 1918|
|Died||29 August 1985
Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Richard Denning (m. 1942–85) (her death)|
Evelyn Ankers (17 August 1918 – 29 August 1985) was a British actress born in Chile. She often played variations on the role of the cultured young leading lady in many American horror films during the 1940s, most notably The Wolf Man (1941) at age 23 opposite Lon Chaney, Jr., a frequent screen partner. Known as "the Queen of the Screamers", her other films include The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), Captive Wild Woman (1943), Son of Dracula (1943), The Mad Ghoul (1943), Jungle Woman (1944), Weird Woman (1944), The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) and The Frozen Ghost (1945). Ankers also appeared in Hold That Ghost (1941), Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942), His Butler's Sister (1943), The Pearl of Death (1944), Pardon My Rhythm (1944), Tarzan's Magic Fountain (1949), and played Calamity Jane in The Texan Meets Calamity Jane (1950), one of many movies for which she received top billing.
Ankers made over fifty films between 1936 and 1950, then retired from movies at the age of 32 to be a housewife. She occasionally played television roles and returned ten years later to make one more film, No Greater Love (1960), with her husband Richard Denning.
- Land Without Music (1936)
- Rembrandt (1936)
- Wings of the Morning (1937)
- Fire Over England (1937)
- Knight Without Armour (1937)
- The Villiers Diamond (1938)
- Second Thoughts (1938)
- Murder in the Family (1938)
- Coming of Age (1938)
- The Claydon Treasure Mystery (1938)
- Burma Convoy (1941)
- The Wolf Man (1941) with Lon Chaney, Jr. and Bela Lugosi
- Hold That Ghost (1941) with Abbott and Costello
- North to the Klondike (1942) with Broderick Crawford and Lon Chaney, Jr.
- The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) with Lon Chaney, Jr. and Bela Lugosi
- Eagle Squadron (1942) with Robert Stack and Diana Barrymore
- Pierre of the Plains (1942)
- Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942) with Basil Rathbone
- The Great Impersonation (1942)
- His Butler's Sister (1943) directed by Frank Borzage
- The Mad Ghoul (1943) with Robert Armstrong
- Son of Dracula (1943) with Lon Chaney, Jr.
- The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) with John Carradine
- Ladies Courageous (1944) with Loretta Young and Diana Barrymore
- The Pearl of Death (1944) with Basil Rathbone and Rondo Hatton
- Bowery to Broadway (1944)
- The Frozen Ghost (1945) with Lon Chaney, Jr.
- The Fatal Witness (1946)
- The French Key (1945)
- Queen of Burlesque (1946)
- Black Beauty (1946) with Richard Denning
- Flight to Nowhere (1946)
- Spoilers of the North (1947)
- Last of the Redskins (1947)
- The Lone Wolf in London (1947) with Gerald Mohr and Eric Blore
- Parole, Inc. (1948) with Michael O'Shea and Turhan Bey
- Tarzan's Magic Fountain (1949) with Lex Barker
- The Texan Meets Calamity Jane (1950)
- No Greater Love (1960) with Richard Denning
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evelyn Ankers.|