|Born||March 28, 1941
|Died||April 13, 2011
|Education||University of California, Berkeley|
|Occupation||animal control officer, cult deprogrammer, reserve police officer|
|Known for||Evelyn Einstein claimed to be an illegitimate daughter of Albert Einstein|
|Title||Master's degree in Medieval literature|
|Parents||Hans Albert Einstein Frieda Einstein adoptive parents|
Einstein was born in Chicago; after her birth she was adopted by Hans Albert Einstein. She obtained a Master's degree in Medieval literature at University of California, Berkeley. She was married to Grover Krantz for 13 years. She then worked briefly as an animal control officer, as a cult deprogrammer and as a Berkeley, California reserve police officer.
As an 18 year old college student in 1960 Evelyn was the only person with a recognized name among the dozens of people arrested in San Francisco at a peaceful protest against the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Evelyn claimed that she was impoverished after her divorce, and she said that she slept in cars and scrounged for discarded food and described herself as a dumpster-diver and had been homeless for three months.
Evelyn told CNN she was outraged she had not received a dime out of the millions of dollars earned annually from her grandfather's likeness, with all profits going to Hebrew University of Jerusalem. While Albert Einstein bequeathed the literary rights for the more than 75,000 papers and other items in his estate, Evelyn asked "What does a bobblehead have to do with a literary estate?" adding "It's hard for me to believe they would treat the family the way they have, which has been abysmally."
In the later years of her life she stated she was told she was an illegitimate daughter of Albert Einstein and a ballet dancer. There is no objective documentation supporting this claim. In 1996 she joined a family suit with the trustee in charge of a collection of correspondence between Albert and Mileva Einstein, a suit that was settled privately. Weeks before her death, Allen P. Wilkinson began to write her memoirs.
- With Marfe Ferguson Delano: Genius: A Photobiography of Albert Einstein. National Geographic Children's Books, 2005, ISBN 0-7922-9544-7.
- Introduction of: Alice Calaprice (editor); Robert Schulmann (contributor). Dear Professor Einstein: Albert Einstein's Letters to and from Children. Prometheus Books, 2002. ISBN 978-1591020158
- Black Friday NotInKansas.us
- Evelyn Einstein Dies at 70; Shaped by a Link to Fame
- Evelyn Einstein Died in Squalor, Despite Grandfather's Riches By Susan Donaldson James, April 20, 2011, ABC World News
- Granddaughter wants share of Einstein estate profits By Adam Reiss, CNN
- New York Times: "Evelyn Einstein Dies at 70; Shaped by a Link to Fame" By DOUGLAS MARTIN April 18, 2011
- Silvia Sanides: Adoptiv-Enkelin oder Tochter? Evelyn Einstein rätselt, in welchem verwandtschaftlichen Verhältnis sie zu Albert Einstein wirklich steht. Womöglich sollte ihre Adoption einen Skandal vertuschen. und Einstein: Adoptiv-Enkelin angeblich uneheliche Tochter. In: Focus. 20 December 2004.
- Evelyn Einstein: Eine uneheliche Tochter? Evelyn Einstein, die Adoptiv-Tochter des Einstein-Sohnes Hans Albert, spielte eine wichtige Rolle bei der Beschaffung der frühen Liebesbriefe von Albert und Mileva. Ob sie selbst in Wahrheit ein uneheliches Kind von Albert Einstein ist, bleibt ungeklärt. In: mensch–einstein.de, 24 March 2005.
- Michele Zackheim: Children of a Lesser God: For the offspring of a science deity, the legacy is more burden than blessing. In: Discover Magazine, March 2008.
- Madeline Holler: Granddaughter of Albert Einstein Wants a Cut in Bobblehead Profits. 11 February 2011.
- Personalien: Evelyn Einstein. In: Der Spiegel. Nr. 8, 21 February 2011.
- Douglas Martin: Evelyn Einstein Dies at 70; Shaped by a Link to Fame. In: New York Times. 18 April 2011.
- Loren Coleman. Evelyn Einstein, Grover Krantz’s former wife, dies. Nachruf auf Cryptomundo.com, 19 April 2011.
- Susan Donaldson James: Evelyn Einstein Died in Squalor, Despite Grandfather's Riches. In: ABC News. 20 April 2011.
- Marc Tracy: Evelyn Einstein, Granddaughter, 70. In: Tablet: A new read on jewish life. 21 April 2011.
- David Gardner: The great mystery surrounding the greatest mind of the 20th century: As Einstein's 'granddaughter' dies, was she really his secret love child? In: Daily Mail. 26 April 2011.
- Frances Dinkelspiel: Saving the history of the Berkeley Police Department. In: Berkeleyside. 5 May 2011.
- Mary Rees: Granddaughter of Albert Einstein Remembered Fondly in Albany: Albany resident Evelyn Einstein passed away last month. In: AlbanyPatch. 13 May 2011.
- Mary Rees: Evelyn Einstein, R.I.P.? The death of Albany resident Evelyn Einstein, granddaughter of Albert Einstein, was followed by confusion and some conflict. In: AlbanyPatch. 18 June 2011.
- Evelyn Einstein Memorial. With contributions of Evamaria Erdpohl, Elizabeth Migliore, Robert Schulmann, Jon Ruth, Jerry Richard, Kennan Kellaris Salinero, George Klein, Ada Rusinek Klein and Allen P. Wilkinson.
- Relics: Einstein's Brain, Part 4 with Evelyn Einstein, BBC, 1994 (she is interviewed at her home by the Japanese professor Kenji Sugimoto)
- Evelyn Einstein, Albert's granddaughter 50 yrs after @ HUAC protest on Flickr
- This article incorporates information from the German Wikipedia.