|Origin||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Genres||Rock, Indie rock|
|Labels||Rubber Records, El Reno Records|
|Associated acts||The Meanies, Hoodoo Gurus, Paul Kelly, Rail, The Swarm, Pray TV|
|Website||Even Official website|
Even are an Australian indie rock three-piece fronted by singer/songwriter/guitarist Ashley Naylor, with Matthew Cotter on drums and Wally Kempton (also known as Wally Meanie) on bass and backing vocals. Even formed in Melbourne in 1994 and have played regularly around the live music scene since.
Naylor and Cotter played music together at high school and in Melbourne indie band The Swarm, before being joined by Kempton on bass to form Even. Even played their first gig in 1994 at the Empress of India Hotel in Fitzroy and after a number of EPs, the band released their first studio album, Less is More, in 1996. Even are signed to Rubber Records, home to other Melbourne bands such as The Casanovas, Offcuts and 1200 Techniques, although they released their 2004 LP Free Kicks on El Reno Records. The 2005 Hoodoo Gurus tribute album Stoneage Cameos, Even covered Arthur, organized by Kempton, who is also the bass player for punk outfit The Meanies. Naylor has always been a fan of 1960s and '70s pop music, with the band's 1997 release Come Again being described by You Am I frontman Tim Rogers as his "favourite Beatles album". Even 's debut album Less Is More was voted number 30 of the greatest Australian albums ever in a poll by The Age. Even released its sixth studio album, In Another Time, in December 2011.
- Less is More - Rubber (10 June 1996)
- Come Again - Rubber (28 September 1998)
- A Different High - Rubber (14 May 2001)
- Free Kicks - El Reno Records (6 June 2004)
- Even - Rubber/EMI (29 March 2008)
- In Another Time - El Reno Records (9 December 2011)
- The Street Press Years - Rubber (11 August 2003)
- In Stereo (1995)
- Ten to Forty-Six (1996)
- One Side Not (1997)
- "Don't Wait" CD (1996)
- "Stop and Go Man" CD (1996)
- "All I Need" (7" Vinyl) (1996)
- "No Surprises" CD (1998)
- "Black Umbrella" CD (1998)
- "Sunshine Comes" CD (1998)
- "Shining Star" CD (2001)
- "Electric Light" CD (2001)
- "Rock and Roll Save My Life" (7" Vinyl) (2001)
- "Rainbows" (7" Vinyl) (2006)
- "I Am the Light" (7" Vinyl) (2008)
- "Back to Life" CD (2009)
- "Temperamental Flower" CD (2009)
- "What You Wanna Do" (7" Vinyl) (2012)
- "What You Wanna Do" CD (2012)
- Nimmervol, Ed. Even biography. AllMusic.com.
- Michael Dwyer, Michael (4 June 2004) Just happy being Even. TheAge.com.au.
- Artists: Even. Rubber Records.
- Cashmere, Paul (26 July 2005). "The Wrights return to do Hoodoo Gurus". Undercover.com.au. Archived from the original on 28 July 2005.
- Performance: Even, Aussie band. Onstage.com.[dead link]
- "Best of the best". The Age. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "'Tis the season to get Even". The Age. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2012.