Evening Shade, Arkansas
|Evening Shade, Arkansas|
Location in Sharp County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||469 ft (143 m)|
|• Density||270/sq mi (110/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0078954|
Evening Shade is a city in Sharp County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 432 at the 2010 census. The town was fictionalized in a television situation comedy starring Burt Reynolds and entitled Evening Shade in the U.S.
Evening Shade is located at (36.070507, -91.621411).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 465 people, 204 households, and 137 families residing in the town. The population density was 294.2 people per square mile (113.6/km²). There were 244 housing units at an average density of 154.4 per square mile (59.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.49% White, and 1.51% from two or more races. 0.22% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 204 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.9% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 31.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 24.9% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 86.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $24,500, and the median income for a family was $31,111. Males had a median income of $23,958 versus $15,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,662. About 8.1% of families and 10.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.3% of those under age 18 and 23.2% of those age 65 or over.
Public education for early childhood, elementary and secondary school students is available from the Cave City School District, which includes the Evening Shade Math & Science Academy (kindergarten through grade 4). Area students may graduate from Cave City High School.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Evening Shade has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Local.Arkansas.gov - Evening Shade, retrieved September 3, 2012
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Evening Shade city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 122.
- Hillinger, Charles (October 13, 1985). "Arkansas' Towns of Funny Names : There's Evening Shade, Greasy Corner, Stump City, Hope". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Thompson, George E. (2009). You Live Where?: Interesting and Unusual Facts about where We Live. iUniverse. p. 7.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Evening Shade, Arkansas