Evening Star (album)
|Studio album by Fripp & Eno|
|Producer||Brian Eno & Robert Fripp|
|Fripp & Eno chronology|
|Robert Fripp chronology|
|Brian Eno chronology|
The first three tracks are serene, gentle tape-looped guitar textures performed by Robert Fripp and accented with treatments, synthesizer and piano by Brian Eno.
Track four, "Wind on Wind", is an excerpt from Eno’s solo project Discreet Music, which was released after this album. Eno had originally intended Fripp to use the material which became Discreet Music as a backing tape to play over in improvised live performances.
The second half of the album is a twenty-eight minute piece of drone music titled "An Index of Metals", in which guitar notes are accumulated in a loop, with distortion increasing as the track progresses.
Tracks from this album were used for the music on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Primary Phase. Also, "Wind on Water" and "Wind on Wind" were included in the 1983 film Breathless soundtrack.
All tracks written by Brian Eno and Robert Fripp except where indicated
- "Wind on Water" – 5:30
- "Evening Star" – 7:48
- "Evensong" – 2:53
- "Wind on Wind" (Brian Eno) – 2:56
- "An Index of Metals" – 28:36
- Robert Christgau: CG: Artist 1904
- Weisbard & Marks, 1995. p.129
- Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Fripp & Eno: No Pussyfooting / Evening Star
- Record Collector (magazine) (p. 89) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A]n essential album for any modern record collection... "
- Weisbard, Eric; Craig Marks (1995). Spin Alternative Record Guide. Vintage Books. ISBN 0-679-75574-8.