Everett Ferguson (born February 18, 1933) currently serves as Distinguished Scholar in Residence at Abilene Christian University in Abilene, Texas. He is author of numerous books on early Christian studies and served as co-editor of the Journal of Early Christian Studies.
Early life and education
He received both his undergraduate bachelor degree and his first master's degree from Abilene Christian University in the mid 1950s. He immediately proceeded to Harvard University and received his Bachelor of Sacred Theology followed by a doctoral degree "with distinction" in History and Philosophy of Religion.
Awards and honors
During his education, Ferguson received such honors as the Honorary John Harvard Fellowship and Harvard Graduate School Fellowship. He later received awards from the Christian Research Foundation for both his dissertation, "Ordination in the Ancient Church," and for a translation of Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses. He was selected to speak as the John G. Gammie Senior Lecturer of the Southwest Commission for Religious Studies. He was later presented with a festschrift, The Early Church in Its Context: Essays in Honor of Everett Ferguson.
Dr. Ferguson was a council member of the Association Internationale D'Etudes Patristiques, which seeks "to promote the study of Christian antiquity, especially the Fathers of the Church, without prejudice to work undertaken in this domain in various countries." He served for a term on the council of the American Society of Church History, and has also previously served as president of the North American Patristics Society (1990-1992), from which he received the Distinguished Service Award for more than thirty years of service.
- Church History: Reformation and Modern. (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1967.) ISBN 978-0891121077
- Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses, with A. J. Malherbe. (New York: Paulist Press, 1978.) ISBN 978-0809102396
- The New Testament Church. (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1984.) ISBN 9780891125235
- Studies in Early Christianity, ed., 18 vols. (New York: Garland Publishing, 1993.)
- Church History, Early and Medieval. 2nd ed. (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1996.) ISBN 978-0891121060
- The Church of Christ: A Biblical Ecclesiology for Today. (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1996.) ISBN 978-0802841896
- Encyclopedia of Early Christianity, ed. (New York: Garland Publishing, 1990; 2nd ed., 1997.) ISBN 978-0815333197
- Recent Studies in Early Christianity, ed., 6 vols. (New York: Garland Publishing, 1999.)
- Early Christians Speak. Vol. 1, 3rd ed. (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1999.) ISBN 0-89112-045-9
- Early Christians Speak. Vol. 2 (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 2002.) ISBN 0-89112-046-7
- Backgrounds of Early Christianity. (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1987; 3rd ed., 2003.) ISBN 978-0802822215
- Women in the Church. (Chickasha, OK: Yeomen Press, 2003.)
- Inheriting Wisdom: Readings for Today from Ancient Christian Writers. (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2004.) ISBN 978-1565633544
- Church History: From Christ to Pre-Reformation. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.) ISBN 978-0310205807
- Baptism in the Early Church: History, Theology, and Liturgy in the First Five Centuries. (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2009.)
- "Everett Ferguson," accessed September 30, 2008.
- "Thirty Years of Service Earn Former ACU Professor National Award," accessed September 30, 2008.
- "Dr. Everett Ferguson," accessed September 30, 2008.
- "AIEP - Statutes," accessed September 30, 2008.