Everette James is a Professor of Health Policy and Management at the University of Pittsburgh and Director of the University of Pittsburgh’s Health Policy Institute (HPI). From 2008-2010, he served as the 25th Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health during which time he helped to implement a statewide smoking ban, a program to eliminate hospital-acquired infections, expanded scope of practice for nurses, physician assistants, and other advanced practice professionals, and new nutrition and physical education standards in Pennsylvania's schools. He resigned as Secretary to take the position of Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Policy and Planning at the University of Pittsburgh in September 2010. He is Professor of Health Policy and Management at university's Graduate School of Public Health where he teaches, advise students, conducts health services research, as well as advises the university and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center on legal issues related to health reform.
In July, 2010, James was also named Director of the Pitt Health Policy Institute. He manages the day to day operations of HPI and works with government, foundation and business funders to support the Institute’s research and programs. HPI is the only academic health policy institute in the U.S. that combines expertise across of all the health sciences - medicine, public health, pharmacy, nursing, dentistry and the rehabilitation sciences - to conduct applied research and make policy recommendations. The HPI Governance Initiative  convenes trustees, practitioners and thought leaders to identify best practices and provide executive education on today’s rapidly changing regulatory environment.
- "Everette James - Secretary of Health". Governor's Cabinet Officials. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Fabregas, Luis (2010-09-22). "Pennsylvania health chief James leaving for Pitt". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- Everette James Helps Pitt | http://pittnews.com/newsstory/everette-james-helps-pitt-understand-health-care/ |
- Health Policy Institute | url=http://www.healthpolicyinstitute.pitt.edu/ |
- HPI Governance Initiative | http://www.healthpolicyinstitute.pitt.edu/hpi-goverance-initiative |
- Pa. Gets Healthy with WIC program | http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/242909_Pa--gets-healthy-with-WIC-program.html/ |
- Combating childhood obesity | http://www.pennlive.com/bodyandmind/index.ssf/2010/05/combating_childhood_obesity_sc.html/ |
- Official brings obesity fight to Pa. schools \ http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=7375998/ |
- Shaler students reap big rewards | url=http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_684129.html |
- Pediatric Obesity Update| http://www.thehealthplan.com/documents/providers/guidelines/pediatric%20obesity.pdf
- Conrad Weiser Middle School celebrates | http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=179183 |
- Active Schools Kick-Off | http://www.schooltube.com/video/d5f85fe735d27d2b1da5/ |
- Taking Action | http://www.timesleader.com/features/health/Taking_action_10-27-2009.html |
- State Health, Education Secretaries Join NFL 'Play 60' | http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/09/08/idUS192052+08-Sep-2009+PRN20090908 |