Evergreen Park Community High School District 231
|Evergreen Park High School|
|9901 South Kedzie Avenue
Evergreen Park, Illinois 60805
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Evergreen Park Community High School District 231|
|Superintendent||M. Elizabeth Hart|
|Principal||William J. Sanderson|
|Faculty||58.3 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.9|
|Campus size||20 acres (8.1 ha)|
|Color(s)||Green and Gray|
|Athletics conference||IHSA South Suburban Conference|
|Accreditation||Illinois State Board of Education
North Central Association
|Feeder schools||Evergreen Park Elementary School District 124|
The Evergreen Park High School District 231, also called Evergreen Park High School, is a public high school located in Evergreen Park, Illinois southwest of Chicago. The high school has about 950 students in grades 9-12.
Evergreen Park competes in the South Suburban Conference (SSC), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), the body which governs most athletics and competitive activities in the state. Teams are stylized as the Mustangs.
The following teams have finished in the top four of their respective IHSA sponsored state tournament.
- Bowling (girls): 3rd place (1976—77, 77—78, 80—81); 4th place (78—79)
- Softball: 4th place (1985—86)
Prior to being sponsored by the IHSA, the girls' water polo team won the state championship from 1980—85, finishing second in 1986.
Girls Cross Country placed 3rd in conference (2009, 2010) and Placed 1st in Regionals (2010)
Football: undefeated champions South West Suburban Conference (1964) 8-0. Best defense in Chicago area, allowing a total of 427 yards and only 19 points for the season! EP 13 vs Bogan 0; EP 6 vs. Bremen 0; EP 13 @ Oaklawn 0; EP 13 @ Rich East 6; EP 28 (our homecoming game) vs. Lincolnway 0; EP 26 @ Homewood Flossmoor 0 (their homecoming game); EP 25 @ Sandburg 6; EP 13 @ Reavis 7. Standings: Evergreen Park 7-0 (8-0), Homewood Flossmoor 6-1 (7-1), Reavis 5-2 (6-2)... All Southwest Suburban Conference: Bob Aherns, linebacker (team MVP); Charlie Aparo, linebacker; Ralph Blinkwolt, offensive guard, defensive tackle (Most tackles, All Chicago Area, All State), Bob Dalrymple, cornerback; Randy Muersch, offensive end; Neil Stapleton, defensive end; Bob Wedemen, offensive and defensive tackle.
- Theodore Kaczynski, also known as the "Unabomber" math professor and terrorist
- Donn Pall, Former MLB player (Chicago White Sox, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Florida)
- Dan Lambton, lead vocalist for the pop punk band Real Friends
- "Evergreen Park High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "IHSA Evergreen Park". Illinois High School Association. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "IHSA Coop Teams". Illinois High School Association. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "NCA-CSI Network - Evergreen Park High School". North Central Association. Retrieved 2008-02-15.[dead link]
- "MATH, SCIENCE FAIR TO HEAR U. C. PRESIDENT". Chicago Tribune. 25 March 1962. pp. SW6. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
- Season summaries for Evergreen Park HS; ihsa.org; accessed 2 January 2009
- 2007 Illinois Water Polo All-State Banquet Program, p. 8; accessed 2 January 2009
- "About District 231". Evergreen Park High School. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Evergreen Park Community High School Student Handbook" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-02-15.[dead link]