Every Breath You Take: The Singles
|Every Breath You Take: The Singles|
|Greatest hits album by The Police|
|Released||25 October 1986|
|Genre||New wave, pop rock, reggae|
|Length||59:13 (1995 release)|
|The Police chronology|
Every Breath You Take: The Classics (1995)
|Singles from Every Breath You Take: The Singles|
Every Breath You Take: The Singles is the debut compilation album by The Police, released in 1986. In 1990, the album was repackaged in New Zealand, Australia and Spain as Their Greatest Hits with a different cover.
All songs written by Sting.
- "Roxanne" – 3:11
- "Can't Stand Losing You" – 2:47
- Tracks 1-2 originally released on the album Outlandos d'Amour.
- "Message in a Bottle" – 4:50
- "Walking on the Moon" – 5:01
- Tracks 3-4 originally released on the album Reggatta de Blanc.
- "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" – 4:40
- Updated version of the song originally on the album Zenyatta Mondatta.
- "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" – 4:06
- Originally released on the album Zenyatta Mondatta.
- "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" – 4:19
- "Invisible Sun" – 3:44
- "Spirits in the Material World" – 2:58
- Tracks 7-9 originally released on the album Ghost in the Machine.
- "Every Breath You Take" – 4:13
- "King of Pain" – 4:57
- "Wrapped Around Your Finger" – 5:14
- Tracks 10-12 originally released on the album Synchronicity.
- Sting – lead and backing vocals, bass, keyboards, saxophone on "Spirits in the Material World"
- Andy Summers – electric guitar, keyboards
- Stewart Copeland – drums, miscellaneous percussion, keyboards, drum programming on "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86"
- Jean Roussel - piano on "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
Every Breath You Take: The Classics
In 1995, A&M released Every Breath You Take: The Classics to replace the original album. It features a slightly different track listing: the original version of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" replaces the 1986 recording at track 5; the '86 version appears at track 13. A 'New Classic Rock Mix' of "Message in a Bottle" is included as track 14. The Digital Theater System (2000) and hybrid Super Audio CD (2003) versions of the album include a previously unreleased version of "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da".
In the DTS version, "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" features a different intro. Also, Every Breath You Take: The Singles featured a shortened version of "Can't Stand Losing You" which featured an early fade out which ends the song before the final chorus concludes. Every Breath You Take: The Classics replaces this with the full length version.
|RIAA – U.S.||Gold||January 13, 1987|
|3x Platinum||November 19, 1992|
|5x Platinum||January 18, 2002|
Graceland by Paul Simon
|UK number one album
November 8, 1986 – November 21, 1986
Hits 5 by Various Artists