All in Good Time (Barenaked Ladies album)
|All in Good Time|
|Studio album by Barenaked Ladies|
|Released||March 23, 2010|
|Recorded||April - July 2009|
|Producer||Michael Phillip Wojewoda|
|Barenaked Ladies chronology|
All In Good Time is the tenth studio album by Barenaked Ladies (the ninth, if Barenaked Ladies Are Me and Are Men are considered as one double-album). All In Good Time was released on March 23, 2010 in Canada, and March 30, 2010 in the United States. It is the first album recorded following the departure of founding member Steven Page in February 2009, and the band's second album recorded as a four-piece (their 1996 album Born on a Pirate Ship was recorded between the departure of original keyboardist Andy Creeggan and the arrival of his replacement Kevin Hearn).
"You Run Away" was the first single released from the album. "Every Subway Car" was released on US and Canadian iTunes on February 23 both as a preview track if the album is pre-ordered, and as a stand-alone purchase. It was later released as the second single from the album, recut as a duet with Erin McCarley.
The band came to the table with 27 written songs, with 18 making the cut to be recorded. With Page's departure, Hearn and bassist Jim Creeggan filled the void by contributing a comparatively greater share of lead vocals than on previous albums. Ed Robertson, who had contributed lead vocals equally with Page, sings lead on 10 of the 18 recorded songs, while Hearn and Creeggan sing on five and three respectively. Drummer Tyler Stewart also lent significant vocals to "Four Seconds".
After founding member Steven Page announced his departure from Barenaked Ladies to pursue a solo career in February 2009, the band posted a message on their website indicating that the remaining members would continue recording and touring together as Barenaked Ladies.
The band began recording the new album with producer Michael Phillip Wojewoda on May 19, 2009, and documented their rehearsal and recording process through their Twitter account. Primary recording was done at Canterbury Studios in Toronto, with additional recording done at Jim Creeggan's home. Recording ended on July 24, and Bob Clearmountain finished mixing the 18 recorded tracks on July 30. The final album consisting of 13 songs (later changed to 14) was sequenced and mastered on August 13. In August, Robertson indicated the possibility of releasing an EP composed of the songs that did not make the cut for the final album.
The band announced on January 6, 2010 that it had signed an exclusive worldwide distribution agreement with EMI Label Services through its new label Raisin' Records, which replaces its previous label, Desperation Records, used from its break with Reprise Records in 2004 until the departure of Page in 2009.
|American Music Channel|||
|The Globe and Mail|||
|The Vancouver Sun|||
The standard album contains fourteen tracks. This versions is available in physical CD format, digital download, as well as a vinyl version made available through the band's webstore on April 14, 2010. The vinyl version, however, does not include the songs "I Have Learned" and "How Long". This was most likely done to fit the album on one vinyl record, instead of making it a two-LP set.
Four songs were recorded but are not included on the standard album: "All In Good Time", "Let There Be Light", "Moonstone" and "She Turned Away". Three of these tracks are retailer-exclusive bonus tracks, the fourth is an exclusive bonus for purchasers of concert tickets on upcoming tours. The band's management has indicated that these tracks will ultimately be available for separate purchase after a period of time.
A limited edition physical version of the album is available in Canada, and is exclusively available in the United States through f.y.e. music stores (though Amazon.com offers it as an import from Canada) This edition includes a t-shirt of the cover photo and a bonus disc containing live acoustic versions of two of the album's songs from a radio performance.
|1.||"You Run Away"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||4:22|
|2.||"Summertime"||Ed Robertson & Ian LeFeuvre||Ed Robertson||3:51|
|3.||"Another Heartbreak"||Kevin Hearn||Kevin Hearn||3:23|
|4.||"Four Seconds"||Ed Robertson & Ian LeFeuvre||Ed Robertson, Tyler Stewart||2:44|
|5.||"On The Lookout"||Jim Creeggan||Jim Creeggan||3:31|
|6.||"Ordinary"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||4:09|
|7.||"I Have Learned"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||3:06|
|8.||"Every Subway Car"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||3:49|
|9.||"Jerome"||Kevin Hearn||Kevin Hearn||3:22|
|10.||"How Long"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||3:39|
|11.||"Golden Boy"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||3:13|
|12.||"I Saw It"||Jim Creeggan||Jim Creeggan||3:50|
|13.||"The Love We're In"||Ed Robertson||Ed Robertson||2:42|
|14.||"Watching The Northern Lights"||Kevin Hearn||Kevin Hearn||4:27|
- Ed Robertson - lead vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, electric bass, drums, percussion, synthesizer, background vocals
- Kevin Hearn - lead vocal on 3, 9, and 14, piano, synthesizers, keyboards, celeste, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, banjo, accordion, harmonica, background vocals
- Jim Creegan - lead vocal on 5 and 12, double bass, electric bass, electric guitar, cello, piano, string arrangements, background vocals
- Tyler Stewart - drums, percussion, background vocals
- Michael Phillip Wojewoda - additional vocals and percussion
- Ian LeFeuvre - guitar on 4
- Jeff Nelsen - horn on 9, string quartet on 5, 12
- Aya Miyagawa - 1st violin
- Gregory Campbell - 2nd violin
- Capella Sherwood - viola
- Amy Laing - cello
- Production/Engineering: Michael Phillip Wojewoda
- Engineering/Digital editing: Kenny Luong
- Additional Engineering: Jeremy Darby
- Mixing: Bob Clearmountain
- Mix Assistance: Brandon Duncan
- Mastering: Ted Jensen
- Art Direction/Design: Chris Bellheimer
- Photography: James Minchin III
- Clock Photograph: Kevin Hearn
- Direction: Jordan Feldstein/Rich Egan (CAM8)
- Business Management: Kenna Danyliw/Mann Chartered Accountants
|"You Run Away"
|"Every Subway Car"
- Barenaked Ladies E-Newsletter
- "Barenaked Ladies, Steven Page to drop new albums | CTV News". Ctv.ca. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Barenaked Ladies Sign Worldwide Deal
- "Barenaked Ladies Planning 'Good Time' Release, Olympics Gigs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Next single from AIGT: EVERY SUBWAY CAR! - Official BNL Forum". Forum.barenakedladies.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "board.barenaked.net". board.barenaked.net. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Caramie Schnellcschnell@vaildaily.comVail, CO Colorado (2009-12-11). "Barenaked Ladies don't fear Vail's cold". VailDaily.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Twitter / Barenaked Ladies: RT@Baldy67 Recording Day 1". Twitter.com. 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Last Day of Recording!!". Barenaked Ladies. 2009-07-24. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "It's Mixed!". Barenaked Ladies. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Twitter / Barenaked Ladies: New Album is finally seque". Twitter.com. 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "I just don't know what to do with myself!!?". Barenaked Ladies. 2009-08-14. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Allmusic review".
- "American Music Channel review".
- "Entertainment Weekly review". 2010-03-31.
- "The Globe and Mail review". Toronto.
- "Toronto Star review". The Star. March 23, 2010.
- "The Vancouver Sun review".
- "All in Good Time". The Star (Toronto). March 23, 2010.
- J.D. Considine (March 23, 2010). "Turning the Page, a revitalized BNL comes together". The Globe and Mail (Toronto).
- Amazon.com Tracklist
- Amazon.com Limited Edition listing"