|Single by Neon Trees|
|from the album Picture Show|
|Released||December 20, 2011|
|Genre||Power pop, pop rock|
|Label||Mercury, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Tyler Glenn, Tim Pagnotta|
|Neon Trees singles chronology|
"Everybody Talks" is the lead single from the 2nd studio album, Picture Show, by American rock band Neon Trees'. It was released on December 20, 2011, in the United States as a digital download on iTunes. It soon became a sleeper hit. The song made it to No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100, making this song their highest charting single to date as well as their first Top 10 hit. The song was mixed and engineered by Billy Bush and mastered by Joe LaPorta.
As of October 2012, the song has sold over 2 million digital downloads. It also hit No. 7 on the Alternative Songs chart, their first Top 10 hit after Animal, it also hit No. 1 on the Adult Pop Songs, their first song to do so.
"Everybody Talks" was inspired by early 1960s pop music; Tyler Glenn said that "We fell in love with a lot of like Roy Orbison and the Motown music that my dad listens to." 
The song has received generally positive reviews from critics. PopCrush gave it 4 of 5 stars stating that "people can relate to 'Everybody Talks'." About.com said it was, "a song that will work with a very wide audience".
The real music video for "Everybody Talks" was released on VEVO and YouTube on March 8, 2012. It features the band at a 1950s-esque drive-in watching a movie called "Zombie Bikers From Hell." In the film, band members are playing music to the song inside a cabin when they're attacked by a group of zombies who are leather-clad motorcycle riders. Lead singer Tyler is the only one to escape, while the other band members are slaughtered by the zombies, offscreen, to the horror of the audience members at the drive-in.
Meanwhile, in the "real life" drive-in, a girl wearing red sunglasses starts seducing various male patrons. Once she and the men are alone in a secluded area, she reveals herself to be a fire-breathing vampire and eats them. In the film, Tyler hitches a ride from a girl in red-sunglasses. As they drive off in a white van, Tyler's fate remains unknown. However, Tyler, and the girl are present at the drive-in. The girl who drove up in the van at the end of the movie is the same girl who the band drove up to the cabin in.
In popular culture
- The song was covered by Jake Puckerman (Jacob Artist) and Kitty Wilde (Becca Tobin) for the 2012 Glee episode, "The Role You Were Born to Play".
- The song appeared in the 2012 movie, American Pie: The Reunion.
- The song was used in 2013 in the ninth episode of the second season of Australian TV series House Husbands.
- In 2014, the song was utilized in television and radio ad campaigns throughout Latin America for services provided by mobile phone operator, Movistar.
|US digital download|
Charts and certifications
|United States||December 20, 2011||Digital download||Mercury|
|17 April 2012||Mainstream/Top 40|
- AllMusic Credits
- Billy Bush Discography
- Paul Grein (October 3, 2012). "Week Ending Sept. 30, 2012. Songs: A Real Horserace For No. 1". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music). Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "Neon Trees Song Premiere: 'Everybody Talks'".
- *Please enter your name. (2011-12-07). "Neon Trees, "Everybody Talks" – Song Review". Popcrush.com. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- "Review: Neon Trees - Everybody Talks". Top40.about.com. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- Neon Trees - Everybody Talks (Animated Version). YouTube
- "Glee Cast – MP3 downloads". amazon.com. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Neon Trees – Everybody Talks". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Neon Trees.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201250 into search.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – Neon Trees – Everybody Talks". Top 40 Singles.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Neon Trees.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Alternative Songs for Neon Trees.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Neon Trees.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Neon Trees.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Neon Trees.
- "Neon Trees Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Neon Trees.
- Everybody Talks - Neon Trees | Billboard.com
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "American single certifications – Neon Trees – Everybody Talks". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- iTunes - Music - Everybody Talks - Single by Neon Trees
- "Future Releases". Retrieved 16 April 2012.