Everybody Wants You
|"Everybody Wants You"|
|Single by Billy Squier|
|from the album Emotions in Motion|
|B-side||"Keep Me Satisfied"|
|Genre||Rock, new wave|
|Label||Capitol - Capitol 5163|
|Producer(s)||Reinhold Mack and Billy Squier|
|Billy Squier singles chronology|
"Everybody Wants You" is a hit song written and performed by American rock singer and guitarist Billy Squier. It appeared as the opening track of his multi-Platinum 1982 album Emotions in Motion, and was released as the second single (following the title track) from that album, reaching No. 32 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also reached number one on Billboard's Top Rock Tracks chart, holding the top spot for six weeks.
The song features three guitars and a bass playing a "hard-rocking and funky" riff, and a "sleekly new wave-oriented production". It became a huge hit on both radio and MTV, topping the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks charts for six weeks, from August 28 to October 8, 1982. It was also a hit on the pop charts, debuting on the Billboard Top 40 on November 27, 1982 and peaking at number 32. It was Squier's third Top-40 hit, following "The Stroke" (number 17) and "In the Dark" (number 35).
"Everybody Wants You" has appeared on a number of classic rock compilations, including Squier's 1995 greatest hits package 16 Strokes: The Best of Billy Squier. The song was also made available as a downloadable track for Guitar Hero 5 on October 8, 2009, along with the Squier songs "The Stroke" and "When She Comes to Me".
"Everybody Wants You" was one of the songs Squier has performed live with Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band; one version appeared on the Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band Live 2006 album, along with Squier's 1984 hit "Rock Me Tonite".
Used in the first couple seasons of the TV show Burn Notice.
The song was featured in the 2012 film Battleship.
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Billboard Top Rock Tracks||1|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||26|
- Mason, Stewart. "Billy Squier: Everybody Wants You". AllMusic. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Prato, Greg. "Billy Squier: Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Whitburn, Joel (February 1, 2003). Joel Whitburn's rock tracks. Record Research Inc. p. 177. ISBN 978-0-89820-153-6. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th Edition). Billboard Books. p. 594. ISBN 0-8230-7499-4.
- Sliwinski, Alexander (September 28, 2009). "Guitar Hero 5: October DLC". joystiq. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- "Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band Live 2006". AllMusic. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- "Damone: Everybody Wants You". AllMusic. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- "Unband: Everybody Wants You". allmusic. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- "Tokyo Police Club covers Billy Squier". Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "The Closer Fan Wiki". Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- Jeffries, David (2004). "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - Original TV Soundtrack". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2010-11-20.