Everything Is Illuminated (film)
|Everything Is Illuminated|
Everything Is Illuminated movie poster
|Directed by||Liev Schreiber|
|Screenplay by||Liev Schreiber|
Jonathan Safran Foer
|Music by||Paul Cantelon
|Edited by||Andrew Marcus
|Distributed by||Warner Independent Pictures|
|Running time||104 minutes|
|Language||English, Russian, Ukrainian|
Everything Is Illuminated is a 2005 biographical drama film, written and directed by Liev Schreiber and starring Elijah Wood and Eugene Hütz. It was adapted from the novel of the same name by Jonathan Safran Foer, and was the debut film of Liev Schreiber both as a director and as a screenwriter.
Jonathan Foer, (Elijah Wood) a young American Jew, goes on a quest to find the woman, Augustina, sister of Lista (Laryssa Lauret), who saved his grandfather during the Holocaust in a small Ukrainian town called Trachimbrod that was wiped off the map when the Nazis liquidated Eastern European shtetls. His guides are a cranky, anti-semitic grandfather (Boris Leskin); his deranged Border collie named Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.; and his over-enthusiastic grandson, Alex (Eugene Hutz), whose fractured command of English, passion for American pop culture, and constant chatter threaten to make the worst of every situation. The guides are not very knowledgeable about the subject of finding Jews, and usually just attempt to scam them by taking them on long journeys, however after hearing about Jonathan's compelling story, they decide they actually want to help him. After much adventure and eventually finding Augustine, the grandfather kills himself after it was revealed he was Jewish and managed to survive the war himself. Jonathan returns home after saying farewell to his new friend Alex.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2014)|
The score for Everything Is Illuminated features eight original tracks composed by Paul Cantelon, along with songs by Russian ska punk band Leningrad, Arkady Severny, Csókolom, Tin Hat Trio, and Gogol Bordello, whose lead singer plays Alex. The band members of Gogol Bordello play the band in the train station where the character Alex has come to meet his US client, Jonathan Foer. DeVotchKa's single "How It Ends" is featured in the trailer, but not in the official soundtrack.
- The subtitles translate the headstone as "Alexander Baruch Perchov", whereas the Russian reads "Aleksandr Barukh Perets". Presumably "Peretz" was the original family name.
- At one point, the Grandfather says "Take the Jew with you", while the subtitles read "Leave the Jew here".
- Alex and the Grandfather keep referring to Jonathan as "žid" ("жид"), which is translated in the subtitles as "Jew," but is actually closer to "Yid (From Yiddish)."
- Alex and his family speak Russian with occasional Odessite influence - Odessa being a mostly Russian speaking city in Ukraine.
American Chronicle recounted the film as one of the "rare films that encapsulate the emotion of discovery and drama with humor", while Time Out called it "an unbelievably assured debut as a director". Roger Ebert praised the film and gave it 3 and a half stars out of 4, and went to see it a second time 'to better understand the journey it takes'.
The film lost money at the box office, as the gross receipts never surpassed even the small budget of the production.
- 2005: Lanterna Magica Prize: Venice Film Festival: Liev Schreiber
- 2005: Biografilm Award: Venice Film Festival: Liev Schreiber
- 2005: Best Screenplay: São Paulo International Film Festival: Liev Schreiber
- Roger Ebert (September 22, 2005). "Everything is Illuminated". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on 2005-09-23.
- Everything Is Illuminated Review Channel 4.
- Overview and Movie Review New York Times.
- Everything is Illuminated Soundtrack
- Everything Is Illuminated
- Everything Is Illuminated (2005) Time Out
- Foer, Jonathan Safran (2002). Everything is illuminated: a novel. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 0-618-17387-0.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Everything Is Illuminated (film)|
- Official website
- Everything Is Illuminated at the Internet Movie Database
- Everything Is Illuminated at AllMovie
- Everything Is Illuminated at Rotten Tomatoes
- Everything Is Illuminated at Metacritic
- Everything Is Illuminated at Box Office Mojo
- Laryssa Lauret - http://www.facebook.com/LaryssaLauret