Everywhere (Michelle Branch song)
|Single by Michelle Branch|
|from the album The Spirit Room|
|Released||July 17, 2001|
|Michelle Branch singles chronology|
"Everywhere" is a single released by pop rock singer-songwriter Michelle Branch. It was written by Branch and John Shanks for her debut album, The Spirit Room (2001). It was produced by John Shanks. The song served as her debut single worldwide. It was released in the U.S. in July 2001.
The song received positive reviews from critics praising its lyrical content and Branch's vocal performance. The song attained moderate success, reaching the top twenty in Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, and the United States. The accompanying music video for the song shows Branch watching a boy in the opposite apartment building while she plays her guitar in an empty room.
Background and writing
A 24 second sample of "Everywhere".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Branch told MTV in 2001:
|“||I guess I could never do "Behind the Music," because none of the songs I write are about personal experiences. I mostly write love songs because I think it's the one thing that everyone can relate to. You see it in movies, in novels ... I like to keep my songs open-ended so people can listen to it and say, "Oh, I think it means this. I've been through that." Instead of having it be about, "I dumped my boyfriend. This is what the song is about." Then it's like, "I don't get it. This has never happened to me. I'm not Michelle." "Everywhere" started out as this simple acoustic love song. When you first like somebody, every little thing reminds you of that person. They're everywhere, in every little thing.||”|
—Michelle Branch, 2001, 
The music video for "Everywhere" was directed by Liz Friedlander. The video shows Branch stalking a cute guy in the opposite apartment building while she plays her guitar in an empty room.
Branch told MTV in 2001, "Before we made the video, it was a big deal for me to help find the guy [who co-stars in it]. I was like, 'I'm taking over. Send all the photos to me. I have to pick the guy.' I was watching every WB show saying, 'He's cute. Can we contact him?' As a teenage girl, this was really exciting for me. They finally brought me the picture of the guy in my video, Jake Muxworthy. I was like, 'This is it. He has to be in it.' The scenes that he was in were so hard because I had this little crush on him. I would giggle and start blushing [when I saw him]. ... I think his girlfriend is probably going to track me down and kill me now."
"Everywhere" received positive reviews from critics praising its lyrical content and Branch's vocal performance. Allmusic's Liana Jonas described the song "a lively and heartfelt song with electric-guitar power chords, spirited vocal delivery, and catchy chorus.". Sputnikmusic reviewed the song "...starts with a nice acoustic intro which is joined in by drum, then the whole band for the chorus. While the music generally falls under pop, this song has a rockier edge to it." IGN Music calls the song "...definitely catchy". Sean Richardson of the Boston Phoenix made favourable comparisons between "Everywhere" and Vanessa Carlton's debut single "A Thousand Miles", saying, "it's a good-natured reverie, with none of the troubled soul searching that characterizes the work of Tori and Fiona. The song rocks enough to live up to those expectations and pop enough to race up the charts. It starts off pretty glossy, with Michelle singing the word "you’re" down the scale in three syllables over a fancy trip-hop drum loop. Then the slashing electric guitars and gang-harmony vocals come in, and before long she’s belting out an unforgettable dream-pop chorus. It’s a flawless pop production and an auspicious chart debut.".
"Everywhere" peaked at number twelve on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending November 10, 2001. The song stayed on the charts for twenty weeks. The song became Branch's first top twenty hit, as well as her third highest peaking single, after "The Game of Love" and "All You Wanted".
"Everywhere" remains Branch's most successful single worldwide. It did better in New Zealand, where it peaked at number two. "Everywhere" reached the top twenty in United Kingdom and Australia, where "Everywhere" is her only single that managed to crack within the top twenty.
In popular culture
- "Everywhere" is featured on the soundtrack of the 2001 film, American Pie 2.
- "Everywhere" is featured on the video game Karaoke Revolution Party.
- "Everywhere" is featured on a Chase Bank commercial to emphasize the widespread locations of their ATM network.
- "Everywhere" is featured on an episode of Lizzie McGuire, "The First Kiss".
- "Everywhere" -Chris Lord Alge Mix- (3:36)
- "All You Wanted" [Unplugged Version] (3:35)
- "Goodbye to You" [Unplugged Version] (4:14)
- "Everywhere" (Promotional Video)
|Australian Singles Chart||19|
|French Singles Chart||60|
|Indonesian Singles Chart||1|
|Netherlands Singles Chart||28|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||2|
|Swedish Singles Chart||51|
|Switzerland Singles Chart||46|
|UK Singles Chart||18|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||12|
|U.S. Billboard Pop Songs||5|
End of year charts
- "Michelle Branch: "She's Everywhere"". MTV. 2001. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- Jonas, Lianas. "The Spirit Room Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Michelle Branch The Spirit Room". musiciansforum.com. Retrieved 10-04-17. Check date values in:
- McGrath, James (2003-09-04). "The Spirit Room Review". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Richardson, Sean. "DIY divas: Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton". Boston Phoenix. May 16—May 23, 2002. Retrieved April 17 28, 2010.
- Billboard - Everywhere - Michelle Branch
- Michelle Branch Awards michellebranch.com April 17, 2010
- "Chase featuring "Everywhere" by Michelle Branch". YouTube. 2009-08-03. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung. "Michelle Branch - Everywhere". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Michelle Branch Album & Song Chart History - Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2002". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2012-02-15.