Evil Woman (Electric Light Orchestra song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Face the Music|
|B-side||"10538 Overture (Live)"|
|Released||October 1975 (US)
10 January 1976 (UK)
|Recorded||1975 at Musicland Studios|
|Length||4:19 (album version)
4:12 (UK single edit)
3:15 (US single edit)
United Artists (US)
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
First released on the band's fifth album, 1975's Face the Music. Released as a single in late-1975, the song became the band's first worldwide hit. According to Lynne this song was the quickest he had ever written, in thirty minutes, originally as 'filler' for the group's Face the Music album. The song placed in the top ten on both sides of the Atlantic in early-1976. The song became a hit again in the UK in 1978 when it featured on The ELO EP. The lyric "There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in" is a tribute to The Beatles' song "Fixing a Hole".
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||23|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||6|
|Irish Singles Chart||10|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||20|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||21|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||8|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||10|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 Singles||9|
|U.S. Record World Singles||9|
|U.S. Billboard Year-End||70|
Jeff Lynne version
|Song by Electric Light Orchestra from the album Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra|
|Released||8 October 2012 (UK)
9 October 2012 (US)
|Recorded||2001–2012 Bungalow Palace|
|Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra track listing|
In 1995, Michael Stipe imitated Jeff Lynne at an R.E.M. concert at Madison Square Garden on their Monster Tour, he wore a frizzy wig and sang "Evil Woman" before the show with Luscious Jackson playing the music.
In 2002, the song was used in the film Austin Powers in Goldmember during the jail scene with Doctor Evil receiving a visit from Mindy Sterling's character Frau Farbissina, the movie's soundtrack album featured a version sung by Diana King.
The band moe. covered the song three times in 2005.
In 2008, singer/songwriter Mike Posner included a remix of the song on his mixtape, "A Matter of Time."
The song was also featured in a 2009 episode of the TV series Community.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Enter Electric Light Orchestra in the Search by Artist field, then click Search.
- "Indice per Interprete: E". HitParadeItalia (it). Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Electric Light Orchestra search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Electric Light Orchestra – Evil Woman" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Electric Light Orchestra – Evil Woman". Top 40 Singles.
- "1976 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 31st January 1976". Offfical Charts Company. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Hawtin, Steve. "Song artist 171 - Electric Light Orchestra". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Releases : elo - Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra". Elo.biz. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- In-depth Song Analysis at the Jeff Lynne Song Database (jefflynnesongs.com)
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics