||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (April 2013)|
Dobson in 2009
|Birth name||Ewan Dobson|
|Born||9 September 1981|
|Origin||Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Fingerstyle guitar, acoustic metal|
As a classical guitarist Dobson won numerous awards such as the Grand Prizes of both the Burlington Rotary Fall Music Festival and the Pickering Rotary Music Festival (1996 and 1998) as well as the D'addario Scholarship from the Kiwanis Music Festival which is given to the top classical guitarist in the competition. As a fingerstyle guitarist, Ewan placed first at the 5th Annual Canadian Fingerstyle Guitar Competition in 2009. Two months after this he competed in the 38th Annual International Fingerstyle Guitar Competition in Winfield, Kansas and placed third. He subsequently placed first in the Acoustic Category of the 4th Annual Montreal Guitar Grand Prix.
He was initially drawn to the shred metal guitar of Judas Priest, Motley Crue and Megadeth, before discovering Niccolò Paganini and exploring classical music of the Romantic period. He then expanded his interests to include bluegrass music after hearing Leo Kottke, Tony Rice and Joe Maphis. His original compositions are influenced by video game music which he absorbed while playing NES as a child, and which is similar to the European Melodic Metal that he also enjoys. His style has evolved into a new form commonly referred to as "Acoustic Metal", i.e., music similar to shred metal but played on an acoustic guitar. Other influences include Canadian folk, techno, and trance music.
On the CandyRat YouTube channel, at least eleven videos of Ewan playing his original compositions have over one million hits. As of November 2014, the most popular, "Time 2", had over seventeen million hits, surpassed only by two Andy McKee videos. "Time 2" topped iTunes charts around the world, hitting number one in Finland, Germany and Sweden.
- 2007: Guitar, Self released title
- 2008: The Red Army Love Potion, Self released title
- 2009: Healthy Obsession, Self released title
- 2009: Ewan Dobson, CandyRat Records
- 2010: Ewan Dobson II, CandyRat Records
- 2012: Ewan Dobson III, CandyRat Records
- 2012: World Candies, Self released title
- 2013: Acoustic Metal, CandyRat Records
- 2014: Acoustic Metal II, Self released title
- 2014: 12 String Guitar, Self released title
- "The Canadian Guitar Festival and Fingerstyle Guitar Competition". Comevisit.com. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Instrument Contest Winner Archives Ewan Dobson". Wvfest.com. 17 May 2008. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Montreal Guitar Grand Prix – The prizes – Acoustic Category". Montreal Guitar Grand Prix. 2009. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- FingerstyleGuitarists.com "Ewan Dobson Interview". www.fingerstyleguitarists.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "Acoustic Metal/Listen to Ewan Dobson’s “Condemnation”". www.guitarworld.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "Ewan Dobson - LR Baggs". www.lrbaggs.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "Candyrat Records - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "Beach Native Ewan Dobson Becomes Online Music Star". www.insidetoronto.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "National Post Brain Supplement" (PDF). parkinson.ca, Parkinson Society Canada. 26 March 2010.
- "Event 96 Official Conference Programme 2009" (PDF). p. 15. ldao.ca Tourette's Syndrome Foundation of Canada.
- "Guitar". cdbaby.com. Ewan Dobson.
- "The Red Army Love Potion". cdbaby.com. Ewan Dobson.
- "Healthy Obsession". cdbaby.com. Ewan Dobson.
- "Ewan Dobson". Candyrat.com. CANdYRAT Records. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Ewan Dobson II". Candyrat.com. CANdYRAT Records. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Ewan Dobson III". Candyrat.com. CANdYRAT Records.
- "World Candies". cdbaby.com. Ewan Dobson.
- "Ewan Dobson : Acoustic Metal : Double CD". Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Ewan Dobson : Acoustic Metal II". Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Ewan Dobson : 12 String Guitar". Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- Candyrat Records label website
- Ewan Dobson's Fanpage
- Ewan Dobson on Online Music Jamming
- Ewan Dobson on Facebook
- CandyRat Records on Myspace
-  Ewan Dobson Interview
- Ewan Dobson: The Transcription Collection