Excel, Model Engineering College
The logo for Excel 2013, the annual national level techno-managerial symposium of Govt. Model Engineering College, Kochi, Kerala, India
|Institute||Govt. Model Engineering College|
Excel is the annual techno-managerial festival hosted by Govt. Model Engineering College (MEC), Cochin, Kerala, India in association with IEEE. It is one of the biggest technical festivals in South India. The festival started as a small-scale technical festival in the year 2001 has now grown attracting more than 5,000 students with 50+ events and with a prize money of around Rs. 1 million in 2012. The symposium, conducted usually over a period of three days, is intended to bring to the forefront, budding innovative engineers from all over India and to provide a platform to showcase their technical skills and management capabilities. Excel incorporates versatile technical and managerial events which include both online and on site competitions, workshops, talks and seminars, video conferences, exhibitions and pro shows. Since its inception in 2001, this national fest has been attracting students from across India. So far, 13 editions of Excel have been successfully conducted.
Excel was introduced in 2001 as a platform for the students to present and exhibit their technological innovations. The capital required to run the event was raised through sponsorships, grants from IEEE and the funds provided by the college. Exhibition stalls were put up, and competitions were held, headed by each of the then existing branches (Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Electronics & Biomedical engineering) which received an incredible response from students in and around the state.Subsequent editions saw the evolution of Excel both in terms of reach, number of participants and events. Purely organized by the students themselves, each edition of EXCEL saw something new and innovative. While the competitions at EXCEL prove to be the ultimate test of grit, knowledge and skill, the lecture series promises an enriching experience for the avid learner.In association with the Yi chapter of the college, the event Technopreneur - a lecture series was organised alongside Excel in the years 2006 and 2007.
A large number of technical and non technical events are distributed throughout the days of the fest. The events can be broadly listed under the following categories -
Technical events form the backbone of Excel. Excel organises a wide variety of events for its participants, ranging from robotic events such as ROBOWARS to electronic events such as DEFUSE (a circuit debugging event in which participants are required to defuse an electronic “bomb” within the given time), EXTRINSICITY (a classic electronic circuit design and debugging event). Computer events at Excel include /BIN/BASH (an event that tests participants’ Linux and shell scripting skills), 4x120 (a team coding event in which a participant codes for an allotted time and teammates continue from where he/she left off). Electrical events include LUMIERE (an event where participants are required to light a set of bulbs in the given order), EXTUNDO PRODIGO (participants are required to create things from a given set of materials and use them to complete tasks such as obstacle courses). Excel also includes biomedical events - LIFELINE (a circuit debugging event in which participants are required to debug malfunctioning ‘life support devices’ in order to save the life of a ‘patient’).
Technical events in which participants can take part irrespective of their chosen streams. Events include - PAPYRUS OF ANI (a paper presentation event), PRINCIPIA MATHEMATICA (a mathematics quiz)
Excel includes online events both technical and non-technical in nature to challenge participants throughout the country. A few of the non technical online events include - KRYPTOS (an online puzzle solving event) and DALAL BULL (an event inviting participants to make the most money on a virtual stock market). Technical events include - #INCLUDE (an online C coding event)
NON TECHNICAL EVENTS
A cluster of non-technical events are included as part of Excel, to make it accessible and more fun for everyone. A few of the events coming under this category include - The Excel General Quiz, Crime Scene Investigation (CSI), Best Manager, GameZone, FunZone and so on.
INNOVATIONS FOR A BETTER TOMORROW (IBETO)
An initiative by the organizers of Excel to find ideas for innovations that can benefit society in some way. Viable ideas are given the chance to be implemented with the organizers providing the requisite funding and mentors, to selected participants. A prize money of Rs. 1 lakh is offered to the best implemented project.
The event was held for the first time at Excel 2012.The first edition of IBETO bore witness to numerous inspiring, ingenious and even simple technical ideas such as a Digital Braille Note taker, Robotic surveillance system, Smartphone based ECG monitor.
The second edition of the event was launched as part of Excel 2013 in February 2013.
.ISSUE!(pronounced as 'dot issue not') is essentially a platform where renowned speakers gather and discuss on a very socially relevant issue of the time. As the youth of a nation steers the pace of development, .ISSUE! is a venture to beget a young generation with proper social awareness . With a goal to prevent the engineers from reducing themselves to just sectarians but instead rise up to inspire and instigate a positive change for the nation.
Additionally, a plethora of other workshops and talks are also organised which have reputed speakers from across the country inspiring the students with their technical prowess .
Previous speakers at Excel include:
- Mr. Kris Gopalakrishnan, Former CEO and Co-Chairman, Infosys.
- Prof. Yash Pal, Scientist and academician.
- Mr. Suhas Gopinath, CEO and Chairman of Globals Inc.
- Mr. Atul Chitnis, Founder, FOSS.IN.
- Mr. Shreyas Srinivasan, Co-founder RadioVeRVe.
- Mr. Jayaram, Product Engineer, Texas Instruments.
- Mr. David John., Design Engineer, Montalvo Systems.
- Mr. Ajith Basu, Chief program executive, Agastya International Foundation.
Pro Shows and exhibitions
Right from the time of its commencement, Excel has played host to a variety of dazzling performances and amazing exhibitions, things which one rarely gets to see up close and personal. They include Airshows, Water rocket shows, Laser shows, concerts by Stephen Devassy in 2010 and Naresh Iyer in 2012 and performance by the rock band Avial in 2011.
In addition to the exhibitions presented by reputed institutions such as NPOL, ISRO, etc., Excel also organises an exhibition in which students of the college showcase their technical skills through a variety of innovative and informative projects(MEC Labs).
TED is a non-profit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. TED, which stands for Technology Entertainment Design, is organised with the aim of bringing together people from these three worlds under the same roof. Govt.Model Engineering College is the first college in India to host a TED event.
The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. TEDxMEC, held in association with Excel, is an initiative of Govt. Model Engineering College, Cochin. TEDxMEC is an effort by Govt. Model Engineering College, Thrikkakara to motivate, inspire and give the community a renewed zeal to reach out and dare to do the impossible. Held at the same time as Excel, TEDxMEC is open to public, but has limited number of seats with seats being issued on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Some of the notable personalities in the recent editions of TEDxMEC were:
- P. K. Hormis Tharakan, Chief of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)
- Soorya Krishnamoorthy, Founder of Soorya Stage and Film Society.
- N. Santosh Hegde, Supreme Court Justice of India (1999- 2005).
- Jithin C Nedumala, Founder of Make A Difference
- Jayen Varma, World renowned bass guitarist.
- Biju Mathew, Joint Director and Head (Kerala), HelpAge International.
- Ms.Sabriye Tenberken and Mr. Paul Kronenberg, Founder Director and Co-Founder of International Institute for Social Entrepreneurs
- Joby Mathew, Disabled World Arm Wrestling champion.
- Ram Kumar R, Founder and CEO of Dreamajax Technologies Private Limited.
- Excel 2001 - EXCEL with the motto INSPIRE | INNOVATE | ENGINEER was born.
- Excel 2k6 - Technopreneur was introduced as a part of Excel.
- Excel 2k8 (1–2 January 2008 ) - Robotic events ‘Sumobot’ and ‘Robo Soccer’ attracted a great number of participants.
- Excel 2k9 ( 23–25 January 2009 ) - Foss Meet was introduced in this edition. The Meet had four sessions given by high profile tech gurus.
- Excel X ( 11–13 December 2009 ) - .ISSUE! was introduced, the topic being “The current education system in India”. Conducted an Air show and a Water rocket show, which were a success. Excel Talks were organised for the first time.
- Excel 2010 ( 24–26 September 2010 ) - Excel revolved around the theme “GO GREEN”. Excel co hosted the South Indian leg of NEXUS; an IIT B venture, in which many teams from all over South India participated, of which one team qualified to the finals at Techfest, IIT-B in January 2011. The Auto Expo, the ISRO exhibition, Laser Show and concert by Stephen Devassy were impressive and gained much appreciation.
- Excel 2011 ( 23–25 September 2011 ) - With the theme “REACHING BEYOND’’, this edition took Excel to new heights. It inspired the participants and urged them to explore the unseen. Electrical events were introduced for the first time. Excel 2011 culminated with a power packed performance by “AVIAL”.
- Excel 2012 (27–29 September 2012) - The biggest edition of Excel so far. Biomedical events were introduced for the first time with the introduction of “LifeLine”. Innovations for a Better Tomorrow (IBETO), a social initiative by the organizers of Excel, to find innovations that can benefit society, was held for the first time. The “Teen Speaker Hunt” organized by TEDxMEC 2012, identified Ashwin Sreenivas, from The Choice School, Cochin as a vibrant teenager with an innovative idea to share. Excel 2012 concluded with an electrifying concert by popular playback singer Naresh Iyer.
- "Student Branch Events - Excel 2011". IEEE. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Excel 2012 to give away 1 million prize money". The Wall Street Journal. 14 July 2012. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "Excel 2012, Technical and Managerial fest at Model Engineering College, Cochin". minglebox. 20 June 2012.
- "Student Branch Events - Excel". IEEE.
- "Kerala / Kochi News : Aeroshow, software contest at college fete". The Hindu. 2009-01-23. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Kerala / Kochi News : Excel promises to inspire, innovate". The Hindu. 2008-01-30. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "MEC excels in technical fete". The Hindu. October 3, 2010.
- "Techies have a blast at MEC fete". The Hindu. September 24, 2011.
- "Innovations for a Better Tomorrow 2013 calls for student tech innovators". The Times of India. Feb 14, 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Excel 2013: IBETO offers 1 lakh innovation prize". thinkdigit. 28 February 2013.
- "Innovations for a Better Tomorrow 2013 calls for student tech innovators". The Times of India. 14 February 2013.
- "Kerala / Kochi News : Technopreneur 2006 begins tomorrow". The Hindu. 2006-02-01. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "The Hindu Business Line : `Technopreneur' lecture sessions in Kochi". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2006-02-03. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "FOSSMeet @ MEC is over :)". Sarath Lakshman. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Kerala / Kochi News : Around the City". The Hindu. 2006-02-04. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Model Engineering College to pay 'wireless' tribute to US scientist". The Times of India. 26 June 2013.
- "TEDxMEC". TED. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Excel promises to inspire, innovate". The Hindu. January 30, 2008.
- "Aeroshow, software contest at college fete". The Hindu. January 23, 2009.
- "Technical festival in full swing". The Hindu. December 13, 2009.
- "Excel fete begins at MEC". The Hindu. September 25, 2010.
- "EXCEL 2010 – TECHNICAL FEST OF MODEL ENGINEERING COLLEGE, COCHIN". Sarath Lakshman.
- "Model Engineering College gets ready for ‘Excel 2011'". The Hindu. September 19, 2011.
- "Excel 2012 from Thursday". The New Indian Express. 27 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Excel, Model Engineering College.|