An executive producer (EP) enables and backs up the making of a commercial entertainment product. He or she is concerned with management accounting and possibly with associated legal issues (like copyrights or royalties).  They also contribute to the film's budget, and do not work on set.
Motion pictures 
Here an executive producer often supervises the creative content as well as the financial aspects of a production. Some writers (for example Stephen J. Cannell and Tina Fey) have been the creator and also the producer of the same TV show. In case more than one executive producer works on a TV show there can be one among them who outranks the others. This position is known as showrunner. Once an executive producer has coined and established a successful TV series he might still be credited as such even if he or she has actually retired from the show.
Nowadays major record labels distinguish between an executive producer and the actual music producer. The executive producer is just responsible for business decisions, whereas the music producer produces the music.  Even so, sometimes the executive producer is supposed to substantiate the creative visions of featured musicians by managing the timetable including the employment of sound engineers or session musicians.
Video games 
The title "executive producer" is not well-defined in the video game industry. It may refer to an external producer, from the publisher, who works with the developers. In 2012 Jay-Z was announced as executive producer for NBA 2K13. As such he appeared in an introduction, picked songs for the game's soundtrack and moreover contributed to the design of its in-game menus "and other visual elements". 
See also 
- Film producer
- Line producer
- Studio executive
- Creative executive
- Development executive
- Unit production manager
- "Typically an executive producer handles business and legal issues". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "The Producer's responsibility is to the production company and the Executive Producers who are appointed to supervise the production on behalf of the Financiers and Distributors". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "In television, an Executive Producer may also be the Creator/Writer of a series". Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "There can be multiple executive producers on a series, but the one in charge is called the showrunner.". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "The Television Producer". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Today, the recording industry has two kinds of producers: executive producer and music producer; they have different roles. While an executive producer oversees a project's finances, a music producer oversees the creation of the music.". Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "The executive producer usually chooses the musicians and technicians for a record, decides where and when to record, and manages the production budget and timetable". Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Argent said Jay-Z's influence would be felt immediately in the game, starting during its video introduction. Jay-Z also handpicked the game's soundtrack". Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "Jay-Z NBA 2K13: Rapper Announced As 'Executive Producer'". Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "What is the point of executive producers?" BBC News. 19 October 2007.
- "What do Executive Producers do?" Job description at www.media-match.com