Expanded orgasm, or a full body orgasm, is any sexual experience more intense and extensive than what can be described as, or included in the definition of, an ordinary orgasm. It includes a range of sensations that include orgasms that are full-bodied, and orgasms that last from a few minutes to many hours. The term expanded orgasm was coined in 1995 by Patricia Taylor. It was used in her Ph.D. research of intense sensual experiences of 44 couples from various backgrounds and referenced in a video she produced in 1998.
Distinguishing features of expanded orgasm are energetic sensations and contractions all over the body, especially in the abdomen, inner thighs, hands, feet, and genitals. Taylor describes reports of practitioners going into various altered states of consciousness, bringing about deep emotional release and rejuvenation, profound spiritual experiences, having awarenesses not normally perceived in regular orgasm, and perceiving energy expanding beyond the limits of their bodies. Similar experiences were reported in studies by Jenny Wade, and by David Deida.
Dr. Umit Sayin has expanded on Taylor's work, suggesting that expanded orgasm is a pathway to peak experiences and altered states of consciousness.
Research and theories
Participants in Taylor's study entered into expanded orgasmic states using various sexual practices or modalities. The top four modalities were; manual self-stimulation (60%), manual stimulation from a partner (35%), sexual intercourse (30%), and oral stimulation (15%). Taylor presents techniques for entering these states in her book Expanded Orgasm, in a DVD, and in her 21 Day Program for Partners.
Expanded orgasm is likely to be related to experiences reported by Margot Anand (The Art of Sexual Ecstasy,), Steve and Vera Bodansky (Extended Massive Orgasm), Alan and Donna Brauer (Extended Sexual Orgasm), More University (e.g., Schwartz), Otto (Whole Body Orgasm), Welcomed Consensus (DOing), Nicole Daedone of OneTaste (Orgasmic Meditation), Erwan Davon, and practitioners of neotantra and sex magic. For example, Brauer, Bodansky, and Schwartz report women having hundreds or thousands of contractions in one sensual connection.
Theories for the biological processes required for achieving these states include the progressive and balanced stimulation and elevation of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system; this is evidenced by the tantric practice of using breathing techniques, such as those mentioned in Nik Douglas and Penny Slinger's 1979 book Sexual Secrets: The Alchemy of Ecstasy, to engage the parasympathetic nervous system during sexual activities.
- The ESO Ecstasy Program: Better, Safer Sexual Intimacy and Extended Orgasmic Response, Alan Brauer & Donna Brauer, Warner Books (1991), Page 24–25, Masters in Johnson … described female orgasm as "a brief episode of physical release" characterized by either "a series of rapidly recurrent orgasmic experiences between which no recordable plateau-phase intervals can be demonstrated or by a single, long-continued orgasmic episode… status orgasmus is may last from 20 to more than 60 seconds".
- Patricia Taylor, PhD thesis (2000), In her PhD research study, the average time spent in an EO session was 54 minutes.
- Patricia Taylor, PhD thesis (2000); these results are summarized in PhD abstract.
- Dr. Patricia Taylor (2000). "Expanded Orgasm: Investigation of an Effective, Powerful, and Accessible Path to Transcendent States of Consciousness".
- Transcendent Sex: When Lovemaking Opens the Veil, Jenny Wade (2004), pages 27–28 and 272–278
- The Enlightened Sex Manual, David Deida (2005), Sounds True Publishing, pages 95, 133, 142
- "Doors of Female Orgasmic Consciousness: New Theories on the Peak Experience and Mechanisms of Female Orgasm and Expanded Sexual Response". Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Patricia Taylor, PhD thesis (2000), Results summarized on page 152, Table 6, "Descriptive Statistics"
- Expanded Orgasm, Soar to Ecstasy at your Lover's Every Touch, Patricia Taylor, Sourcebooks (2002)
- Expand Her Orgasm Tonight - DVD, Virtual World Studio (1998, 2005)
- Expand Her Orgasm Tonight! The 21-Day Program For Partners, Patricia Taylor (2009)
- Patricia Taylor, PhD thesis (2000), pages 106, 99–100.
- The Art of Sexual Ecstasy: The Path of Sacred Sexuality for Western Lovers, Margot Anand (1989)
- Extended Massive Orgasm: How You Can Give and Receive Intense Sexual Pleasure, Steve Bodansky, PhD, Vera Bodansky, PhD (2000)
- ESO: How You and Your Lover Can Give Each Other Hours of Extended Sexual Orgasm, Alan Brauer, Donna Brauer (2001)
- As the giver of an orgasmic experience, 'you will enjoy the feelings she is having almost as much as she does and feel what she is feeling in your own body', The One Hour Orgasm: The Ultimate Guide to Totally Satisfying and Man or Woman Every Time, Bob Schwartz, Leah Schwartz (1995), page 136
- Orgasm & Orgasmic Meditation, William Safire, The New York Times (March 29, 2009).
- Authors Patracia Leigh Brown and Carol Pogash (March 15, 2009). "The Pleasure Principle". The New York Times (March 15, 2009). Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- ESO Ecstasy Program, Brauer and Brauer, pages 103–109
- ESO Ecstasy Program, Brauer and Brauer, pages 109–110
- The Illustrated Guide to Extended Massive Orgasm, Dr. Steve Bodansky, Dr. Vera Bodansky (2002), page 4
- Sexual Secrets: The Alchemy of Ecstasy, Nik Douglas and Penny Slinger (1979), Destiny Books, pages 35, 36
- An Observational and Comparative Study of the Practitioners of Expanded Orgasm: An Investigation Of An Effective, Powerful, and Accessible Path to Transcendent States of Consciousness, Patricia Taylor, PhD Thesis (2000)
- Liberated Orgasm, The Orgasmic Revolution, Herbert A. Otto (1999)
- The Doctrine of Vibration: An Analysis of the Doctrines and Practices of Kashmiri Shaivism, Mark S. G. Dyczkowski (1987)
- Silent Orgasm, From Transpersonal to Transparent Consciousness, Gunter Nitschka (1995)
- The Tantra Experience, Discourses on the Royal Song of Saraha, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (1978)
- The Function of the Orgasm, Wilhelm Reich (1942)
- Eros Ascending: The Life-Transforming Power of Sacred Sexuality, John Maxwell Taylor, North Atlantic Books (2009)
- The Science of Orgasm, Prof. Barry R. Komisaruk (2006)