|Type of site||social networking|
Expatica is an online news and information portal that specifically serves English-speaking expatriates and the international community. It was founded by Canadian Bram Lebo in 2000. Expatica’s mission is to help expats in Europe settle into their new country of residence by providing up-to-date news and information in the English language.
Expatica’s founding was partially funded by the Dutch government (the Twinning Center under the Ministry of Economic Affairs) and Expatica now reaches expats in ten European countries and regions, including the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Moscow, Luxembourg, the UK, Portugal and South Africa. The news and information Expatica supplies covers various aspects of expat life, including relocation, culture, education, tax, immigration, local events and politics.
Expatica allows expats from any country to register as members free of charge, which has resulted in an online international community, comprising over 120,000 members. Via the “i am not a tourist” fairs organised annually in Amsterdam, Brussels and Madrid, along with regular meet-ups and social events, Expatica brings members of the international community together.
Expatica assists academic institutions and independent researchers in carrying out research on expat-related subjects too. To date, various surveys have been conducted in co-operation with Expatica, including an investigation into expatriation by Cranfield School of Management.
- "About Expatica | Expatica The Netherlands". Expatica.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- [dead link]
- "Buitenlanders ronselen tijdens Expatica « Amsterdam Inc". Amsterdaminc.tv. 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Cranfield School of Management: Doherty N., Dickmann M. and Mills T. Exploring the motives of company-backed and self-initiated expatriates. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. Forthcoming January 2011.
- "World news guide: Europe | World news". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Official website
- Don't let your expat dream be a financial nightmare
- Guardian diary
- Interview with Expatica chief editor
- Expatica’s 7th “I am not a tourist fair” in Amsterdam
- A world of possibilities and pitfalls : Looking for love:Lonely expats turn to online dating
- Making connections, online
- Interview with Expats Radio