Expedition of Alqammah bin Mujazziz
Expedition of Alqammah bin Mujazziz, took place in September 630 AD, 9AH, 4th month, of the Islamic Calendar. This expedition was dispatched to fight against some men from Abyssinia (Ethiopia), who gathered near the shores of Jeddah. The Ethiopians approached Makkah using boats from the sea, leading some Muslims to flee the area, suspecting the Ethiopians of being pirates.
News reached the Islamic prophet Muhammad, who sent ‘Alqamah bin Mujazziz Al-Mudlaji to the shores of Jeddah, with 300 men. The Muslim fighters crossed the sea till they got to an island. But as soon as the suspected pirates had learned of the Muslims’ arrival, they fled.
Islamic primary sources
|This section relies on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
The event is also mentioned by the Muslim Scholar Ibn Sa'd in his book "Kitab al-tabaqat al-kabir", as follows:
THE SARIYYAH OF 'ALQAMAH IBN MUJAZZIZ AL-MUDLIJI AGAINST AL-HABASHAH
Then (occurred) the sariyyah of 'Alqamah Ibn Mujazziz al- Mudliji against al-Habashah in the month of Rabi' al-Akhar...
They (narrators) said: A report reached the Apostle of Allah, may Allah bless him, that the people of Juddah had seen the people of al-Habashah (Abyssinia). Thereupon he sent 'Alqamah lbn Mujazziz at the head of three hundred persons. He reached an island in the sea. When the (tide) rose in front of them they ran away from it. When it reached, some people hastened to go to their families and he permitted them. 'Abd Allah H lbn Hudhafah al-Sahmi also wanted to go so he (Alqamah) appointed him the leader of those who were going. He had some humour in him. They halted on the way, enkindled fire to warm themselves and to cook (food). On this he said : I have resolved (not to proceed) unless you jump into this fire. Some of them stood up and throngned, till he had the impression that they were about to jump. Then he said: Sit down ! I was simply jesting with you. They mentioned it to the Apostle of Allah, may Allan bless him. He said : Do not obey him who orders you to commit a sin.
[Kitab al-tabaqat al-kabir,By Ibn Sa'd,Volume 2, Pg 202]
- Abu Khalil, Shawqi (1 March 2004). Atlas of the Prophet's biography: places, nations, landmarks. Dar-us-Salam. p. 231. ISBN 978-9960-897-71-4.
- Abū Khalīl, Shawqī (2003). Atlas of the Quran. Dar-us-Salam. p. 244. ISBN 978-9960-897-54-7.
- Hawarey, Dr. Mosab (2010). The Journey of Prophecy; Days of Peace and War (Arabic). Islamic Book Trust.Note: Book contains a list of battles of Muhammad in Arabic, English translation available here
- Rahman al-Mubarakpuri, Saifur (2005), The Sealed Nectar, Darussalam Publications, p. 269
- Sa'd, Ibn (1967). Kitab al-tabaqat al-kabir,By Ibn Sa'd,Volume 2. Pakistan Historical Society. p. 201. ASIN B0007JAWMK.
- The Sealed Nectar, Text Version, Witness-Pioneer.com
- Muir, William (10 August 2003). Life of Mahomet. Kessinger Publishing Co. p. 451. ISBN 978-0-7661-7741-3.