Extra Mile Education Foundation
|Extra Mile Education Foundation|
|Purpose/focus||Inner city education|
|Parent organization||Catholic Church|
The Extra Mile Education Foundation is a privately funded, non-profit charity 501(3)(c) based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, founded in 1989. The money raised by the charity is used to subsidize the tuition of low income students who attend several K-8 Catholic schools in the Pittsburgh area. Most of the students are African American. The schools place a high priority on academic excellence and achievement. as of January 2011, five Pittsburgh schools are currently enrolled in the program.
A January 28, 2007 article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette cites the following information about The Extra Mile Education Foundation
- Of the 830 students whose education is funded by the program, most are non-Catholic.
- 70% of the students come from families whose income is low enough to qualify for free or reduced priced lunches.
- Of the students who graduate from the program (i.e., from 8th grade), not a single student has ever failed 9th grade, and 96% of the students graduate from high school within 4 years.
- The foundation spends $1.9 million per year for scholarships. The money comes from donations, and from interest on the foundation's $17 million endowment.
The following is an excerpt from their official mission statement: "Extra Mile Education Foundation supports the education of urban children in select Pittsburgh parochial elementary schools ... The schools – identified by the Diocese of Pittsburgh – are in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, and students are primarily African American and non-Catholic. Extra Mile is dedicated to sustaining these schools for their communities on an ongoing basis..." The entire mission statement can be read here.
- Westinghouse Electric
- The Heinz Endowment
Board of Directors
Notable members of the foundation's board include:
- Art Rooney II, President of the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Michael P. Tomlin, Head coach Pittsburgh Steelers
- David Shapira, Chairman and CEO of Giant Eagle
- Thomas Usher, former Chairman of Marathon Oil
- David Zubik, Bishop of Pittsburgh
- "Charity Navigator-Extra Mile Education Foundation". Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- Gregory A. Morris et. al (2000). "Listening to Student: Voices from the Inner City". Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice (Chesnut Hill, MA: Boston College Roche Center for Catholic Education) 4 (1): 7. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- Preserving a Critical National Asset America’s Disadvantaged Students and the Crisis in Faith-based Urban Schools (Report). The White House Domestic Policy Council. September 2008. p. 31. http://www.ncea.org/UserFiles/File/boards/White-House-Report-08.pdf. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "Program goes extra mile for Catholic education-Extra Mile Education Foundation reaches out to mostly black families in low-income areas". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- "Extra Mile Education Foundation-The Schools". Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Extra Mile Education Foundation Board of Directors/Staff". Retrieved 2011-01-25.