Extra Space Storage
|Public NYSE: EXR|
|Industry||Real Estate Investment Trust self storage|
|Headquarters||Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA|
Number of locations
|Spencer Kirk, CEO
Kenneth Woolley, Founder and Chairman
|Products||Climate controlled and non-climate controlled storage units|
Number of employees
Extra Space Storage (NYSE: EXR) is a US provider of self-storage units, with over 1,071 facilities across 35 states plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. Headquartered in Cottonwood Heights, Utah, Extra Space Storage is the second largest owner and/or operator of self-storage properties in the United States, as well as the largest self-storage management company.
Extra Space Storage has been a publicly traded real estate investment trust (REIT) since 2004, and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol EXR. The company was founded in 1977 by Kenneth Woolley, who remains the chairman. Since 1998, Spencer Kirk has served as the company's CEO.
Extra Space Storage was founded in 1977 by Kenneth Woolley. Between 1977 and 1994, Woolley opened 28 properties. In 1998, eventual CEO Spencer Kirk joined Woolley as a 50-50 partner. Kirk was previously the co-founder of Megahertz, a laptop modem company that was purchased by USRobotics in 1994, and later by 3Com.
As of August, 2014, Extra Space Storage owns and operates 1,071 facilities in the US. The company's properties comprise approximately 715,000 units, and over 79 million square feet of rentable storage space. Various types of storage units are offered by the company, including RV, boat, and automobile storage. The company also offers climate-controlled units, indoor and outdoor units, and locker units.
- "Extra Space Storage". ksl.com. Retrieved 2015-03-20.
Extra Space Storage 2795 E. Cottonwood Pkwy, Ste. 400 Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121.
- Yu, Hui-yong (2014-08-06). "Self-Storage Magnates Cash In on the Surge in Real Estate". Bloomberg Business.
- "Top-Operators List : Top Operators Directory". insideselfstorage.com. 2014-09-02. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Extra Space Storage IPO". Nasdaq.
- Lewis, Di and Stewart, Heather (2012-03-01). "CEO of the Year". Utah Business.
- Foxwell, Elaine (2006-06-01). "Extra Space Storage Expands, Educates". Inside Self Storage.
- "Self-Storage Magnates Cash in on Real Estate Surge". Washington Post. 2014-08-23.
- Cariaga, Vance (2014-10-21). "Extra Space Storage Uses Tech Savvy to Lock Up Growth". Investors.com.