The EyeWriter is a low-cost eyetracking system originally designed for paralyzed graffiti artist TEMPT1. The EyeWriter system uses inexpensive cameras and open-source computer vision software to track the wearer's eye movements.
EyeWriter was developed by artists and engineers from the Free Art & Technology Lab, Graffiti Research Lab and OpenFrameworks teams, including Zachary Lieberman, Evan Roth, James Powderly, Theo Watson and Chris Sugrue.
EyeWriter was featured in 2009 at the CREAM International Festival for Arts & Media in Yokohama. TEMPT1 was also featured in 2009 projected on Kyoto City Hall. EyeWriter was part of the Talk to Me exhibit at MoMA on display from July 24 until November 7, 2011.
The project received almost $18,000 as a kickstarter project, which surpassed its $15,000 goal. It also received funding support from The Ebeling Group and from Parsons School of Design.
Software and development
The EyeWriter software consist of eye-tracking software, and a drawing software that allows a user to draw with the movement of their eye. The source code for the EyeWriter software is an open source code with an Artistic/GPL License. The software for both parts has been developed using openframeworks, a cross platform C++ library for creative development. Eyewriter 2.0 led to the development of Livewriter to be used in the 2010 Cinekid festival. In addition to Eyewriter's original parameters, a robot arm was integrated allowing the physical recording of visually created content.
- [dead link]
- "FutureEverything | The Eyewriter". 2010.futureeverything.org. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Weekend Edition Sunday (2010-03-21). "Paralyzed Graffiti Artist Draws With His Eyes". NPR. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Mick Ebeling: The invention that unlocked a locked-in artist | Video on". Ted.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "TEMPT1 & EyeWriter @ CREAM (Yokohama) | EyeWriter Initiative". Eyewriter.org. 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Tempt1 On Kyoto City Hall…. Share this (2009-11-14). "Tempt1 On Kyoto City Hall…. | EyeWriter Initiative". Eyewriter.org. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Talk to Me | EyeWriter". MoMA. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Mahuron, Darren. "TEMPT1 & EyeWriter = Art by Eyes by zach lieberman — Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Developer | EyeWriter Initiative". Eyewriter.org. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Eyewriter 2.0 + Robot Arm = Livewriter | EyeWriter Initiative". Eyewriter.org. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Paintball Shooting Robot Writes Tempt1 Tag | EyeWriter Initiative". Eyewriter.org. 2010-03-09. Retrieved 2011-11-04.