Eye on It
|Eye on It|
|Studio album by TobyMac|
|Released||August 28, 2012|
|Genre||CCM, electronic music, pop|
|Producer||TobyMac, David Garcia, Christopher Stevens, Jamie Moore, Telemitry|
|Singles from Eye on It|
Eye on It is TobyMac's sixth full-length solo studio album released on August 28, 2012. A deluxe version of the album was also released. The album experiments more with electronic music, primarily dubstep. "Me Without You" was released as the first single from the album on June 12, 2012. The album won Best Contemporary Christian Music Album at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart selling 69,000 copies in total. Out of these, 35,000 were digital downloads. This was TobyMac's first No. 1 and only the third Christian album to open at that position. It also was No. 1 on the Christian Albums charts. According to Billboard, this was the first time a Christian album opened in the top spot on the 200 chart since LeAnn Rimes' You Light Up My Life: Inspirational Songs in 1997. The album beat out the hip-hop group Slaughterhouse's album Welcome to: Our House. In its second week of release, the album fell to No. 8 selling 26,000 copies, bringing the total to 95,000 copies.
|The Christian Manifesto|||
|Indie Vision Music|||
|Jesus Freak Hideout||
|Louder Than the Music|||
|New Release Tuesday|||
Eye on It received mostly positive reviews from critics. Kim Jones of About.com rated the album four out of five stars, praising TobyMac's ability to provide fresh new music while staying true to his Christian base. Also, AllMusic's James Christopher Monger rated the album four out of five, calling the tracks the most accessible collection by TobyMac to date. Robert Ham of Christianity Today rated the album four out of five and listed "Favorite Song", "UnStoppable", and "Eye on It" as the top tracks, but said that "if there's any detriment to the album, it is that the singer and his collaborators are a little too enthusiastic about tossing every idea and interlude into these songs." In addition, Matt Conner of CCM Magazine gave it the same rating, with saying that "TobyMac keeps things fun and light, summery vibe throughout." New Release Tuesday's Sarah Fine gave the album 4.5 out of five stars, saying that "2012's Eye on It has taken shape not only as one of Toby’s most musically whimsical projects, but one of his most passionate." Likewise, Jono Davies of Louder Than the Music gave the album the same rating, and told that "With this album you will find yourself dancing, thinking, crying and dreaming, but especially dancing." Cross Rhythms' Tony Cummings gave it a similar rating, with a nine-out-of-ten, and he wrote that he was "certain there are tracks here that will connect - musically and spiritually - with people wherever they are heard, and with radio stations around the world guaranteed to play 'Eye On It' that's a lot of people." Tyler Hess of Christian Music Zine gave the album a 4.25-out-of-a-five, and called the album a "top notch production." Finally, George Welsted of Christian Music Review gave the album a perfect five and called it "Masterfully Composed and Fresh".
However, some critics were less favorable. JesusFreakHideout gave the album three-point-five out of five in both reviews, with Roger Gelwicks writing that "Despite its weaknesses, Eye on It is a testament to good old-fashioned musicianship that gives credit to Whom it is due; the mark of an endearing album, no matter what the genre or time." Indie Vision Music's Jonathan Andre rated the album three out of five, but praised TobyMac's ability to continually reinvent himself and speak to young people everywhere. Calvin Moore of The Christian Manifesto, however, was highly negative, rating the album one-point-five out of five. The reviewer, Calvin Moore, stated that "While this project isn't everything that is wrong with Christian pop music, it is that saccharine, surface-level mediocre sound that appeals to far too many Christians. With a few exceptions, this endeavor is wholly forgettable." Moore did find reason to praise "Lose Myself", feeling that it is the one track "showcases Toby Mac doing what he does well."
|1.||"Me Without You"||Toby McKeehan, David Garcia, Christopher Stevens||David Garcia, Toby McKeehan||3:35|
|2.||"Steal My Show"||McKeehan, Stevens, Brandon Heath||Christopher Stevens, McKeehan||3:32|
|3.||"Eye on It" (with Britt Nicole)||McKeehan, Stevens, Mike Woods||Stevens, McKeehan||3:09|
|4.||"Forgiveness" (featuring Lecrae & Nirva Ready)||McKeehan, Garcia, Lecrae Moore||Garcia, McKeehan||4:16|
|5.||"Speak Life"||McKeehan, Jamie Moore, Ryan Stevenson||Jamie Moore, Stevens, McKeehan||3:26|
|6.||"Unstoppable" (featuring Blanca Reyes of Group 1 Crew)||McKeehan, Garcia, Stevens||Garcia, Stevens, McKeehan||3:48|
|7.||"Lose Myself"||McKeehan, Garcia, Stevens||Garcia, McKeehan||4:14|
|8.||"Family"||McKeehan, Cary Barlowe, J. Moore||Moore, McKeehan||3:42|
|9.||"Thankful for You" (with Byron "Mr. Talkbox" Chambers)||McKeehan, Garcia, Stevens||Stevens, McKeehan||4:04|
|10.||"Made for Me"||McKeehan, Stevens||Stevens, McKeehan||3:42|
|11.||"Mac Daddy (Tru's Reality)"||McKeehan, Jesse Frasure||Telemitry, McKeehan||2:41|
|12.||"Favorite Song" (featuring Jamie Grace)||McKeehan, Garcia, Stevens, Ryan Edgar||Stevens, McKeehan||3:55|
The deluxe edition of Eye on It features five remixes of songs from the album, and one remix of a song from Tonight.
|13.||"Me Without You" (Capital Kings Remix)||4:49|
|14.||"Steal My Show" (Jack Shocklee Remix)||2:53|
|15.||"Lose Myself" (Capital Kings Remix)||6:03|
|16.||"Family" (Jamie Moore Remix)||3:39|
|17.||"LoudNClear (truDog'10)" (Telemitry Remix)||2:53|
|18.||"Me Without You" (Telemitry Remix)||4:35|
- Toby McKeehan - Lead Vocals, Background Vocals
- Christopher Stevens - Keys, Programming, Drums, Guitars, Background Vocals
- David Garcia - Guitars, Keys, Programming, Bass, Drums, Background Vocals
- Jamie Moore - Keys, Programming, Piano, String Arrangement, Background Vocals
- Trevor Morgan - Guitars
- Tony Lucido - Bass
- Paul Mabury - Drums
- Byron "Mr. Talkbox" Chambers - Talkbox
- Tim Rosenau - Guitars
- Jesse Frasure - Keys, Programming
- Mike Woods - Guitars, Background Vocals
- Brian Haley - Drums
- Courtland Clement - Guitars
- Lecrae - Vocals, Background Vocals on Forgiveness
- Britt Nicole - Vocals, Background Vocals on Eye on It
- Jamie Grace - Vocals, Background Vocals on Favorite Song
- Blanca Callahan - Vocals, Background Vocals on Unstoppable
- Kim Flemming - Background Vocals
- Jason Eskridge - Background Vocals
- Nirva Ready - Background Vocals
- Nancy Stevens - Background Vocals
- Gabe Patillo - Background Vocals
- Cameron Stevens - Background Vocals
- Vicki Hampton - Background Vocals
|Canadian Albums Chart||15|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Billboard Top Christian Albums||1|
|US Billboard Top Digital Albums||1|
- "Me Without You: TobyMac: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "2013 Grammy Award Winners: Gospel/Contemporary Christian." Breathecast RSS. 10 Feb. 2013. Retrieved 21 Sept. 2013.
- "TobyMac Earns First No. 1 Christian Album on Billboard 200 Since 1997". Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- Sisario, Ben (September 12, 2012). "Matchbox Twenty Tops Album Chart - NYTimes.com". Artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Jones, Kim. "TobyMac - 'Eye On It': You Blinked and tobyMac Grew Again!". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Monger, James Christopher. "Eye On It". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Conner, Matt (September 1, 2012). "TobyMac: Eye on It (Forefront)". CCM Magazine. p. 58. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Ham, Robert (August 28, 2012). "TobyMac: Eye on It". Christianity Today. Christianity Today. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Moore, Calvin (August 29, 2012). "TobyMac | Eye On It". The Christian Manifesto. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Cummings, Tony (September 5, 2012). "Review: Eye On It - TobyMac". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Andre, Jonathan (August 21, 2012). "TobyMac – Eye On It". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Gelwicks, Roger; Schexnayder, Nathaniel (July 27, 2012; August 26, 2012). "TobyMac, "Eye On It" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved September 4, 2012. Check date values in:
- Davies, Jono (August 31, 2012). "TobyMac - Eye On It". Louder Than the Music. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Fine, Sarah (August 16, 2012). "Another Successful Reinvention". New Release Tuesday. NRT Media. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Hess, Tyler (August 27, 2012). "Tobymac - "Eye On It" (Review)". Christian Music Zine. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Welsted, George (October 3, 2012). "Toby Mac: Eye On It". Christian Music Review. Retrieved February 15, 2013.