Eye in the Sky (song)
|"Eye in the Sky"|
|Single by The Alan Parsons Project|
|from the album Eye in the Sky|
3:55 (7" version)
|Writer(s)||Alan Parsons, Eric Woolfson|
|Producer||Alan Parsons, Eric Woolfson|
|The Alan Parsons Project singles chronology|
"Eye in the Sky" is a 1982 song by the Alan Parsons Project from the album Eye in the Sky. It hit #3 on the Billboard charts in the United States in October 1982 and #1 in Canada and #6 in New Zealand and was their most successful release. Says Parsons of the song, "...I hated the song when we first started recording it — I was quite ready to drop it altogether. Then we hit upon the hypnotic guitar chugs and it all came together."
It has been noted that Eric Woolfson, the songwriter and vocalist of this song, spent a lot of time in casinos and in commercial districts, fascinated by the hidden security cameras that monitor gamblers and shoppers, hence the theme of the song. See "Eye in the Sky."
The 1:54 minute instrumental piece entitled "Sirius" immediately precedes "Eye in the Sky"' on the original recording, which then seamlessly leads into "Eye in the Sky" as a second track. However, most radio stations choose to play "Eye in the Sky" alone, due to time constraints, and less importantly because radio stations that play billboard hits don't play instrumentals.
"Eye In The Sky" is heard on the 2002/2003 video game compilation Activision Anthology on the virtual tape deck in the main menu.
|Australian Kent Music Report||22|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||1|
|Canadian RPM Top Adult Contemporary||7|
|French Singles Chart||16|
|German Singles Chart||38|
|Italian Singles Chart||5|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||3|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||11|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||31|
|Italian Singles Chart||45|
|Spanish Singles Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||32|
|U.S. Cashbox Top 100||28|
- Synthpop artist Parralox released a cover of this song as a single in 2013.
- Folk rock artist Jonatha Brooke covered this song on her 2004 album, Back In The Circus.
- International artist Noa covered this song on her 2002 album, Now.
- Rapper Immortal Technique sampled the song on his 2011 album, The Martyr.
- Gary War covered the song on his 2008 album New Raytheonport.
- "The Saga Continues" by P.Diddy on his 2001 album "The Saga Continues...".
- "Ja no brillen mai" by Joan Dausà i els Tipus d'Interès (in Catalan).
- Backwards Bullets: This Week In Charts 1982
- Alan Parsons: If You Believe In The Power Of Magic - From the Official Website, The Alan Parsons Music. See Paragraph 27
- Wendy Geller (2010-10-18). "Lady Antebellum's 'Need You Now'--A Ripoff?". Yahoo!-Our Country blog. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Eye in the Sky in Canadian Charts". http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm (in English). Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "Eye in the Sky in Canadian Adult Contemporary Charts". http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm (in English). Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.