Charles performs jump blues music with his group Ezra Charles' Texas Blues Band (formerly Ezra Charles and the Works) in and around the Houston area. His group is unusual as it does not employ an upright or electric bass. Instead, Charles plays the bass notes via a MIDI device in his piano, which produces a bass note for every piano key played below the "E" below middle "C". In addition to Charles' piano/bass, the group contains a guitar, drums, and a three-piece all-female horn section.
Hailing from Beaumont, Texas, Charles is the author of a song called "Beaumont Boys", which paid homage to many of the musicians from his hometown, including The Big Bopper, Johnny and Edgar Winter, and Harry James.
Charles is known for his lively stage show, which often features his piano catching fire during particularly "heated" performances.
- Texas Bop - Rollin' Rock Originals - Rollin' Rock Switzerland (1984)
- Design for Living - Boffo Records (1989)
- Modern Years - Icarus Records (1993)
- Drive Time - Icarus Records (1996)
- Texas Style - Icarus Records (1998)
- Return of the Radio Avengers (Greatest Hits Vol. 1) - Icarus Records (1998)
- Beaumont Boy - Icarus Records (2001)
- Blues Lover - Icarus Records (2006)
- Ezra Charles and the Works Live at the Howling Coyote - Icarus Records (2006)