Miller at the 19th Hamptons International Film Festival, October 15, 2011
|Born||Ezra Matthew Miller
September 30, 1992
Wyckoff, New Jersey, U.S.
Ezra Matthew Miller (born September 30, 1992) is an American actor, known for his roles as Vincent "Vinnie" Rizzo, Jr. in City Island (2009), Elliot Hellman in Another Happy Day (2011), and the titular character of We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011). He starred in the 2012 teen drama The Perks of Being a Wallflower, with Logan Lerman and Emma Watson, and has signed on to play the role of Léon Dupuis in Sophie Barthes' adaptation of the Gustave Flaubert novel Madame Bovary.
Miller was born and raised in Wyckoff, a community in Bergen County, New Jersey. His mother, Marta, is a modern dancer. His father, Robert S. Miller, was senior vice president and managing director of Walt Disney Company's adult book publishing division, Hyperion Books; he is also a publisher at Workman Publishing. Miller has two older sisters, Saiya and Caitlin. He considers himself Jewish, and "spiritual" (his father is Jewish; his mother, who has German ancestry, is from a Christian background).
When he was six, Miller started to train as an opera singer, to help him overcome a speech impediment. He has sung with the Metropolitan Opera, and performed in the U.S. premiere of Philip Glass’s contemporary opera White Raven. He attended Rockland Country Day School and The Hudson School, dropping out after the release of the film Afterschool.
Miller began his film career in 2008 with the Antonio Campos’s Afterschool, in which he played a teenager at a boarding school. After that, Miller appeared in City Island (2009), with Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies, and Steven Strait, and co-starred in Beware the Gonzo and Every Day, both of which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival. Miller next appeared in the BBC Films movie We Need to Talk About Kevin with John C. Reilly and Tilda Swinton, which was directed and adapted by Lynne Ramsay from American author Lionel Shriver's 2003 novel of the same name. The film became a Cannes Film Festival sensation, winning critical acclaim. Miller also acted as Damien on the Showtime's hit comedy television program Californication. He appeared on Royal Pains as Tucker Bryant for two seasons. His most recent role was Patrick, in the movie adaptation of the novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower, opposite Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. The film was released on September 21, 2012.
Miller has described himself as queer. He has stated "The way I would choose to identify myself wouldn’t be gay. I’ve been attracted mostly to ‘shes’ but I’ve been with many people and I’m open to love wherever it can be"; and that he has "a lot of really wonderful friends who are of very different sexes and genders. I am very much in love with no one in particular".
On June 28, 2011, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he was shooting The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Miller was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for a broken brake light, and police discovered that he had 20 grams of marijuana in his possession. He was initially charged with drug possession, but the charge was later dropped by a judge. Instead of these charges, Miller faced a penalty of $600 for two citations of disorderly conduct. Miller later commented: "I don't feel like there's any need to hide the fact that I smoke pot. It's a harmless herbal substance that increases sensory appreciation."
|2008||Busted Walk||Jay Turner||Short Film|
|2008||Californication||Damien||TV series; 5 episodes|
|2009||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Ethan Morse||TV series (1 episode: "Crush")|
|2009–2010||Royal Pains||Tucker Bryant||TV series (5 episodes)|
|2009||City Island||Vince Jr.|
|2010||Beware the Gonzo||Eddie 'Gonzo' Gilman|
|2011||Another Happy Day||Elliot|
|2011||We Need to Talk About Kevin||Kevin Khatchadourian|
|2012||The Perks of Being a Wallflower||Patrick|
|2014||Madame Bovary||Leon Dupuis||Post-production|
Awards and nominations
- "Actor faces charges for marijuana in Peters". Post-gazette.com. 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Tribune, Pittsburgh (2011-06-25). "'Wallflower' actor faces drug chages - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review". Pittsburghlive.com. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Harvkey, Mike (2012). "Ezra Miller". Nylon Magazine. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- 【イケメン発掘調査隊】第54回『少年は残酷な弓を射る』エズラ・ミラー - シネマトゥデイ
- "Authentic movie clothing requires lots of shopping". Post-gazette.com. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Osborn, Michael (2011-10-21). "BBC News - Talk About Kevin: Portrait of a parent's worst nightmare". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Beckerman, Jim; and Rohan, Virginia. "Our picks for Oscar's top honors", The Record (Bergen County), January 25, 2012. Accessed June 7, 2012. "And what happened to Tilda Swinton, Leonardo DiCaprio and Wyckoff's Ezra Miller (a Best Supporting Actor possibility for "We Need to Talk About Kevin")?"
- Bosworth, Kate. "Ezra Miller". Interview. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Lamble, David. "The Bay Area Reporter Online | We need to talk about Ezra Miller". Ebar.com. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Walt Disney Company To Reorganise Publishing Business: Disney Publishing, Worldwide And Hyperion". Prnewswire.co.uk. 1999-04-12. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Yuan, Jada (2012-01-08). "We Need to Talk About Ezra". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Lamble, David (2011-12-08). "Family estrangement". The Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Saar, Yuval (2012-01-19). "Ezra's Way (Weekend)". Haaretz. Retrieved 2012-06-01. "My father is Jewish, my mother is not, but I consider myself entirely Jewish even though according to Jewish law I am not. I encourage everyone to understand that the rules were written before anyone could do DNA tests... I know that I am a descendant of Abraham through my father." And a visit to Israel? "I definitely plan to do this."
- Shana Naomi Krochmal (2012-08-15). "Lost & Found". Out Magazine. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- VanAirsdale, S.T. (2010-04-26). "The Verge: Ezra Miller". Movieline. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Ezra Miller Interview for Beware the Gonzo". The Cinema Source. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Ezra Miller on ‘Perks of Being a Wallflower,’ Being Bisexual & More - The Daily Beast
- Bamigboye, Baz (2011-05-13). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: 'I'm too old to be a lothario', says Jude Law". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Ezra Miller | Ezra Miller Cleared On Drug Charge". Contactmusic. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Wilkinson, Amy (2011-05-19). "Ezra Miller To Play Patrick In 'Perks of Being a Wallflower'". MTV. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- Little White Lies magazine (2011-10-19). "Ezra Miller interview". littlewhitelies.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "SONS". Sons of an Illustrious Father. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Lawrence Ferber (2012-01-16). "Ezra Miller Says He Has Had Gay Moments". Next Magazine. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Glinow, Kiki (2011-06-29). "'Wallflower' Star Ezra Miller Busted for Marijuana Possession". Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Ezra Miller on His Roles in 'Another Happy Day' and 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' - New York Magazine". Nymag.com. 2012-01-08. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ezra Miller.|