|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Studio album by George Russell Sextet|
|Recorded||8 May 1961|
|Genre||Avant-garde jazz, free jazz, post-bop|
|George Russell Sextet chronology|
Ezz-thetics is an album by a sextet led by the jazz composer and music theorist George Russell. It features a re-reading of Russell's title composition and a radical reworking of Thelonious Monk's standard "Round Midnight" with an extended solo by Eric Dolphy. The title song, "Ezzthetic", was dedicated to, in Mr. Russell's own words, "the late, great heavyweight boxing champion of the world, Ezzard Charles".
The recording features trombonist Dave Baker whose trombone career was cut short causing him to take up the cello. He went on to become a major composer of jazz and modern classical music. Don Ellis went on to lead his own successful big band. George Russell was awarded the MacArthur "Genius" Award in 1989 and is captured here in a rare piano appearance. Eric Dolphy was a major artist in the "New Thing" branch of jazz but also appeared with Charles Mingus in one of his greatest small groups. Dolphy died a few years later due to complications of diabetes in Europe while on tour and was quickly elected to the Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame. Steve Swallow went on to become a major practitioner of the electric bass and is close associated with the music of Carla Bley. Joe Hunt is a well known drummer associated with Mr Russell's groups, as well as Stan Getz and Bill Evans, who rose to fame with George Russell for his famous solo on Russell's "All About Rosie".
- "Ezz-thetic" (Russell) – 8:57
- "Nardis" (Miles Davis) – 4:34
- "Lydiot" (Russell) – 8:06
- "Thoughts" (Russell) – 5:26
- "Honesty" (David Baker) – 8:55
- "Round Midnight" (Thelonious Monk) – 6:29
- "Kige's Tune" (Al Kiger) (take 2) *
- "Kige's Tune" (Al Kiger) (take 5) *
* Bonus tracks, issued for the first time on 2007 CD remaster:
- George Russell - piano, arranger
- Don Ellis - trumpet
- Dave Baker - trombone
- Eric Dolphy - alto sax and bass clarinet
- Steve Swallow - bass
- Joe Hunt - drums
- Yanow, Scott (2011). "Ezz-Thetics - George Russell | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 18 July 2011.